The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Gatcombe Lodge Forum Start a topic | Search
Gatcombe Lodge
Consider yourself bollocked, Barry!
15 messages
Select a forum:
That`s what the copper said to me as I was being allowed to go.

Oh, dear!

On a trip down to the Cotswolds today, I visited the Longstone of Minchinhampton. As Gatcombe Lodge long barrow is only a couple of hundred yards away, I thought I might as well go and have a look at that, too.

Unfortunately, Gatcombe Lodge long barrow happens to be on the Gatcombe Park estate (Princess Anne`s home). There`s a footpath which runs close to the barrow and I only meant to walk past and have a look. Anyway, I couldn`t resist. I went through a gate and onto the barrow. An estate worker spotted me as he went past in a Discovery; he blocked the entranceway and phoned the security.

A Land Rover duly arrived with two police officers, who did a full check on me and my motor. They could see that I was an unlikely terrorist, with my sandals, shorts and Stonehenge Tshirt. When the all-clear came through, I was allowed to go with a rollocking.

Don`t thing I`ll go back there again.

baz

Reply | with quote
baza
Posted by baza
14th September 2003ce
22:47

Messages in this topic: