The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lancashire Forum Start a topic | Search
Lancashire
Re: Anglezarke Moor Finds ??
6 messages
Select a forum:
Cool !!!

I've found a few crudely carved rocks in Smithills - none with anything as interesting as a face on though. You're two parallel grooves facing north look like sheep leg bones to me - in those days the handle of the Great Frying Pan (Ursa major) was vertical and indicated close to true north. The simplest of astronomers would have given that meridian great significance. We did !

Don't stop.

The best time to search the Pennine moors for ancient stones is just after the heather's been burnt January, February, March, before the new growth starts.

The Arke, in Anglezarke, is the old Rivington barn, incidentally. The Anglez were I guess our Saxon forbears, Christian farmers who pushed the stones over respectfully, re-used them as boundary markers (check these), and sometimes crudely carved their initials or a cross on them http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/image.php?image_id=12719

There's stuff all the way from where you are - to where I am. Just waiting to be discovered. I'm glad IronMan's spiral is getting some attention.

(And so on) ...

Reply | with quote
AtomicMutton
Posted by AtomicMutton
31st July 2003ce
08:21

In reply to:

Anglezarke Moor Finds ?? (Rivington Pike)

Messages in this topic: