The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lancashire Forum Start a topic | Search
Lancashire
Re: Calling Ironman!!
6 messages
Select a forum:
>There are quite a few out cropping rocks showing through the eroded peat so it may take some time to find it. Do you think it may need adding as a find ?. What about the mound ? approximate ref. SD629 178, very distinctive when seen on the day.?

To be honest, it's hard for me to say whether they should be added or not without seeing them in person. That mound does bare a striking resemblance to Round Loaf (albeit a more flattened version) and the position between Round Loaf and Pikestones is very interesting. I'll have to get out there and take a look soon...

> I agree with your opinion about features still to be found around this Winter Hill/Anglezaerke and I think we may need a new group adding for Anglezarke itself, any views.

Yeah, that might be a good idea - it's just difficult to know what to include. I'd, personally, class Cheetham Close as a Winter Hill site, because I really do think the hill plays a significant role in it's siting, *but* this is just my opinion and others may well disagree.

>Have you ever been to the Nab Spout, a spring in a grove of oak trees on the west side of Chorley Nab ?

I've not really been out that way at all really, but it certainly sounds very interesting.

Reply | with quote
IronMan
Posted by IronMan
30th July 2003ce
15:44

In reply to:

Calling Ironman!! (Rivington Pike)

Messages in this topic: