The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lancashire Forum Start a topic | Search
Lancashire
Hello, Rivington Pike ...
27 messages
Select a forum:
I grew up within sight of your soft hill. I've climbed in that tower an uncounted number of times. I missed the Festival, though, in the Chinese Gardens - and have never been to even one Good Friday ceremony.

All of the Pennine dales and hills are rich with undiscovered megalithic remains. Anglezarke Moor has never really been looked at systematically. I've found some significant stone monuments in the upper end of the Smithills Country Park, out of Lancashire and into Greater Manchester.

It's taking the archaeology community some time to come to terms with this. Their current response is 'the stuff can't be there because no one's found it previously'. These sites are accurately represented on this site and I welcome any further research (other than etymosophosy).

The easiest to find - and the easiest to recognise on the ground - is the Counting Hill stone row. (http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=3589) Walk down the track from Winter Hill (it's well defined) until you get to the rocks. After you've found that one you'll want to find the two big ones, at Brown Stones and Burnt Edge.

There's a Rivington stone with a face - that's 'gone missing' - and an unlisted Celtic Head, at Doffcocker. There was a festival in Moss Bank Park, in the very early '70's. As there were only about fifteen people there not many remember it - headlined by a band called 'Spyrogyra'. Whatever happened to them ?

~

Reply | with quote
AtomicMutton
Posted by AtomicMutton
26th June 2003ce
04:33

In reply to:

Re: Hi from Sunny Lancashire too... (Rivington Pike)

1 reply:

Re: Hello, Rivington Pike ... (Rivington Pike)

Messages in this topic: