The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Longstone (East Worlington) Forum Start a topic | Search
43 messages
Select a forum:
the pattern on that half dozen cluster of stones at the Knar have the same pattern as yours. I dug one out and the marks are not eroded very much. This is the stone nearest Far House. The turf could be cut back a little more and the stone needs to be fenced against sheep's feet.

I would hope that some museum could cast a replica and take that one into care. In the field beyond are three recent field clearance cairns comprised of boulders. These piles of stone were made after I'd found that cupmarked rock. Me and the stuff in this valley has been like the Dutch lad with his thumb in the dyke. Or the Lone Ranger.

(That is the only excuse for this verbosity). The largest archaeological potential, in this valley, is to decipher the history of copper exploitation. Some of the monuments here, particularly those massive piles of rock, seem possibly Neolithic. There is a cist burial - stylistically E.B.A. - 65 metres from the mine entrance so I am assuming that it was in operation then.

The smelting site - certainly the copper slag heap - is marked clearly on that crap Knarsdale treasure map. My basecamp is a mile and a half from there - so I'm well out of the picture. It's dangerous for me down there - even. I'm hoping to rebuild an ancient currick on one of these prominent hills. It's just foundations and a map reference at the moment.

I think I could bear it if you took my boulder burial cover. It's very eroded but has both microcups and chevrons ! Weight about 120kgs - I've not told the farmers where many of these stones are. The digger's been stopped for more than a week - Mexican stand off - and I saw the local paper's ace cub reporter's car out there, yesterday morning. Which is why I'm asking for smokescreen.

I've defied TomBo to find some of these stones from the crap treasure map (and I'm hoping the keepers ambush him)! As bullies usually go they fall to pieces before a strong woman. Treat as bullocks. The valley's just jampacked with archaeological remnants - simply because of this copper mine. Most of the stuff 'I know it's something but I don't know what'

To the tiles !

Reply | with quote
AtomicMutton
Posted by AtomicMutton
24th June 2003ce
09:00

In reply to:

Re: mincing (pebblesfromheaven)

1 reply:

Re: minced (TomBo)

Messages in this topic: