The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Uffington White Horse Forum Start a topic | Search
Uffington White Horse
ET puts clear water between them and NT. Good.
8 messages
Select a forum:
Interesting, and constructive reply from EH….

Thank you for your email about the Channel 4 advertisement placed near the Uffington White Horse. We appreciate your concern that the integrity of this much loved landmark should be preserved. We understand, however, that the 'Eye' painted near the White Horse was outside the area of the scheduled monument and was on land owned by the National Trust. There was therefore no legal requirement to seek consent for it under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979, and neither was there any requirement to seek permission from English Heritage. We were not aware of any intention to create this image at Uffington: had we been consulted we would have raised concerns about the effect upon the setting of a nationally important monument. I understand that the National Trust has now issued a statement seeking to explain their involvement in the matter.

We would strongly disapprove of any activities which might damage ancient monuments and as you point out, any unauthorised interference with the scheduled area of the Uffington White Horse would be illegal.

Christopher Welch
Inspector of Ancient Monuments

Dear Mr Welch,

Thankyou for your reply. It was refreshing in that, if you will pardon the pun, it was not of the whitewash variety which I have received from other bodies.

Given all that you say, I am encouraged to hope that representations may be made elsewhere to avoid a repetition of this regrettable incident. Since you would have raised very proper concerns had you been informed of this matter, it is to be hoped that in future instances you will be so informed.

For your information, I have written to NT informing them that I have carried out some tests which suggest that the "non-toxic" chalk based paint which they used causes a cessation of feeding and subsequent eccentric growth pattern and death of several larval species.

Many thanks for your response.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
14th May 2003ce
18:12

Messages in this topic: