The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: The "perpetual Choirs of Britain".
17 messages
Select a forum:
I don't remember the mention in 'Sun and Serpent' but that's probably just my memory. I suppose un-literate civilisations indeed pass on important things through poetry and songs, as the Welsh bards did. Quite amazing feats to remember such huge amounts of information, and I suppose the rhythm of the song/poetry helps a bit.

Do you also mean that in moving through the country these supposed choirs were singing about the places they were in, recounting the important mythical / historical information about them? (songlines, am I right, is about Aboriginal dreamtime myth?)

And I suppose there's the element of 'trance' that would be induced by all that rhythmical breathing and singing generally (think monastic chanting, for one example)?

(not wishing to dismiss this as Celtic New Age wishful thinking but unless it's hinted at in one of the much later Welsh poems, could it ever be decided where such a 'school' could have been based?)

This topic is locked
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
20th July 2005ce
14:44

In reply to:

The "perpetual Choirs of Britain". (Forrester)

Messages in this topic: