Showing 1-20 of 532 miscellaneous posts. Most recent first | Next 20
CPAT description of the stone:
Standing stone, comprising a sandstone slab 0.8m high x 0.5m x 0.15m, aligned NNE-SSW, leaning slightly to the ENE,and with an area of sheep scour around its base on that side. On its WNW side is a recumbent slab of limestone which does not appear to have ever been erect, and may well be natural. The standing stone is sited on a west-facing slope, with views to west and north-west.
There are three sets of earthworks on Huish Hill, all of which have been tentatively dated as prehistoric. Pastscape descriptions, west to east:
Western earthworks (centred SU144645)
Iron Age 'A' and 'C' sherds were found by Meyrick in the area of the earthworks SU 144644, and Bronze Age sherds by him at SU
14356441. Now in his private collection.
SU 14336436 to SU 14386482: A linear work comprising a bank up to 2.7m high above a 0.8m deep ditch to the W. The ditch has a counterscarp bank up to 0.5m high except in the S where the dyke turns sharply down the steep hillside. The southern portion of the main bank is over-laid by a modern bank. In the N the earth-work can only be traced by a faint undulation in arable ground. Two trackways cut the work, but it is not possible to
ascertain if either obscures an original gap. An angled bank abutting the E side at SU 14416453 is the remains of the rectangular enclosure shown by Colt Hoare of which no evidence of a N side now survives.
Central enclosure (SU 14966420)
Possibly the oblong earthwork north of Huish Church noted by Colt Hoare in which Iron Age and Romano-British pottery had been dug up.
The sub-rectangular enclosure 65m NS by 50m, comprises a bank 0.4m high with an outer ditch 0.2m deep. It is situated near the edge of an escarpment, the E and W sides extending to the steep slope.
The enclosure has no obvious entrance but was evidently used for pastoral purposes, probably of IA/RB origin; though a Md or later date cannot be discounted.
Eastern linear earthworks (centred SU 15891 63886)
A linear boundary bank and ditch running from Huish Hill SU 1549 6372 to Martinsell Hill Settlement at SU 1745 6417. The western section below Huish Hill has a sharp
profile ditch 1.5m deep cut into the head of the steep scarp, but is mutilated in parts by holloways and paths. A section of the ditch at SU 1563 6376 has an unfinished appearance.
Another bank and ditch, which appears to be of earlier date, branches from the linear at SU 1597 6393. This bank averages 1.4m high with ditch on the western side 1.6m deep. It runs in a gradual curve to the summit on the hill but cannot be traced beyond the track at SU 1594 6408. It is not a cross-ridge dyke.
The linear fades on the lower slopes of Oar Hill, but a similar feature forms at SU 1692 6405 and runs to the NW corner or Martinsell, broken only by modern tracks and quarries. From SU 172 642 the bank fades and the ditch is of weaker profile.
Three fields away to the southeast at SO 28369 82022, on the same side of the river, the Shropshire SMR lists a bowl barrow:
The monument includes a bowl barrow situated on a low rise north of the River Clun. Although much reduced by past ploughing, it survives as a low mound 25m north to south by 20m transversely standing up to 0.3m high. Although no longer visible as a surface feature, a ditch, from which the material was quarried for the construction of the barrow, surrounds the mound and has an estimated width of 2m.
Funnily there is a standing stone at this grid reference, it's not very tall though (a couple of feet max.).
I noticed it on the way from Gatcombe Lodge long barrow to The Bulwarks on Minchinhampton and noted the grid reference when I passed, never thinking anything more of it. This was before Chance added it to TMA.
According to the info plaque beneath the rocks, they originally stood on the coast at Manacle Point (about 1/4 mile to the east) and were re-sited to where they are now as the quarry expanded.
The area to the west of Lowland Point is one of those marvellous palimpsest landscapes you get in some places.
Here, there are traces of Mesolithic flint working, Bronze Age hut circles and a possible round barrow known as The Barn (at SW 80251952), as well as a 2nd century AD Romano-British field system and salt works. Pottery of the Bronze Age (Trevisker Ware) and Romano-British periods has been found here.
A medieval field system known locally as The Stitch covers the northeastern part of the area.
There are several groups of cairns on Craddock Moor.
One group forms a rough arc to the northeast of the Craddock Moor embanked avenue, centred on approx. SX244721. Cornwall & Scilly HER:
A scattered group of approximately six cairns (1291.01 - 1291.10) on the floor of a west facing re-entrant which cuts into the high ground of Craddock Moor, in an area dotted with prospecting pits and surrounded by disturbed ground. These features were first recorded by CCRA and in 1985 were surveyed on the ground by RCHME. According to the latter, they may be cairns rather than clearance heaps, although one large mound (at SX 2445 7210) within the group is formed from upcast dug out of the adjacent mining pit. The identified cairns consist of turf covered stony mounds, 1.5m - 8.5m in diameter and 0.3m - 0.8m high, none of which show evidence of a kerb or a cist and the majority of which have mutilated in one way or another. The cairns are in generally good condition though many have been disturbed. Their sepulchral / ritual character is supported by their proximity to an embanked avenue and a stone row.A further three small cairns are centred on approx. SX 246719:
A small group of three cairns situated on a gentle north western slope in unenclosed moorland pasture. These cairns were surveyed on the ground in 1984 by RCHME. They are simple mounds, circular and oval in plan and have diameters ranging from 3.5m to 0.4m. Two of the cairns have been dug into, but the group as a whole is in good condition.The largest cairns are the pair mentioned by Mr Hamhead at SX 2444 7168.
Western cairnOther isolated cairns are dotted about the moor, with a further group clustered around Tregarrick Tor.
Overall diameter of 18m, comprising a platform or berm 0.2m high and a raised perimerter, 1.5m wide and 0.2m high. Some protruding stone suggests that it has stone kerb. At the centre of the platform there is a mound of stone 7.3m across and a further 0.5m high. This cairn is in good condition.
A platform with an overall diameter of 13m and a height of 0.4m, with traces of a kerb on the northern side. There is a central mound 9.2m in diameter and 0.8m high. This cairn is in good condition.
Two cairns here, on a flattish saddle surrounded on three sides by rising ground - the granite outcrops of Kilmar Tor to the north, Bearah Tor to the east and the more gentle Langstone Downs to the south.
Descriptions from Cornwall & Scilly HER:
Platform cairn at SX 2532 7430
A rimmed platform cairn in enclosed moorland to the west of Bearah Tor, on a very slight western slope. It was discovered by the RCHME surveyor during field investigation and surveyed onto the 1:2500 air photo plot. It is a turf covered cairn, 9.3m in diameter and 0.4m high. It has a slightly dished interior, the centre being 0.2m above the natural ground level, and a perimeter rim 0.1m high. Four stones about 0.3m across protrude 0.1m to 0.2m from the top of the rim bank but these are widely spaced and do not seem to be part of a retaining wall or structure. The cairn is situated 4.0m to the north of the Bearah Tor reave, at a point where the reave appears to have been stripped of much of its stone content. It would, however, be exceptional if the reave stone had been used for the cairn, particularly in view of the cairn to the east where the reverse seems to have taken place, and reaves generally seem to post-date cairns.
[Shown on the OS 1/25000 Explorer]
Cairn with cist at SX 2551 7426
A small round cairn with a central cist situated near other broadly contemporary cairns and a prehistoric linear boundary in the broad saddle between Bearah Tor and Langstone Downs. The cairn survives as a circular mound of heaped rubble, 5.3m in diameter and up to 0.5m high. The mound is covered by a thick peaty turf which has protected this cairn from earlier antiquarian discovery and disturbance. At the centre of the mound is a slab-built cist, rectangular in plan, with each side formed from a single slab 0.1m thick, giving an internal chamber measuring 1.1m long by 0.65m wide and 0.7m deep. The two side slabs and the end slab are upright. The cist's covering slab is sub-circular, 1.0m in diameter and 0.15m thick, and has had small angular facets along its edge which may result from a recent, unsuccessful, attempt to fashion it into a millstone.
[Not shown on the OS 1/25000 Explorer]
An extensive but widely spread Bronze Age cairn cemetery occupies Twelve Men's Moor, from the northern slopes of Kilmar Tor (at 396m OD, the third highest hilltop in Cornwall) down to the saddle between it and Hawk's Tor.
Details of cairns from Cornwall & Scilly HER, generally north to south:
Cairn at SX 2511 7558
A cairn discovered during fieldwork by RCHME in 1983, on a flat valley floor in an area of partly cleared moorland pasture. In poor condition and measuring 4.9m in diameter, the cairn is much robbed and now merely the base of earthfast stones 0.1m high. Just off centre are two slabs, 0.3m-0.4m long and 0.3m high, set at almost a right angle, both leaning but very firmly embedded in the base stones. Possibly the remains of a small cist, but very uncertain.
Cairn and cist at SX 2511 7551
A cairn, first recorded by Trahair in 1978. Surveyed by RCHME in 1983. It lies on flat ground in an east - west 'valley' between Kilmar Tor and Trewortha Tor in an area of moorland bracken, furze and boulders. A round cairn of which only the south part survives, this measuring 9.0m by 4.0m and 0.8m high. Robbing has exposed a fine cist with four slabs set about 0.1m into the ground and standing about 0.5m above it. The cist, set in a NE-SW direction, measures 0.9m by 0.6m internally. A coverstone lies immediately to the north of the cist.
Group to the east of Trewortha
Cairn at SX 2479 7548
This cairn is part of a compact cairn group, to the east of Trewortha. It is marked on early OS maps as a 'hut circle' and was Scheduled as such by Mercer in 1978. It was surveyed from the air and from the ground by the RCHME in the 1980s. Shown as a cairn on the latest OS map. The cairn is located in a flat valley with a slight west slope, in an area of grazed pasture enclosed by rough moorland with boulders. It is circular, 15.4m in diameter, and 0.9m high. Top probably flat originally, but it has been disturbed.
Cairn at SX 2477 7547
It is located in a flat valley with a slight west slope, in an area of grazed pasture enclosed by rough moorland with boulders. The cairn is first recorded by Trahair, who considered that it could be the result of stone clearance. In 1983, it was surveyed by Quinnell onto the RCHME's 1:2500 air photo plot. Described by Quinnell as a spread of stone 6.0m by 4.8m and 0.4m high.
Not shown on the OS 1/25000
Cairn at SX 2472 7545
It is located on a very slight south west slope in an area of pasture free of stone. Quinnell describes the cairn as a circular grass covered mound of stones 5.0m in diameter and 0.4m high.
Not shown on OS 1/25000
Cairn at SX 2471 7545
One of the larger cairns in the group. Marked as a cairn on the latest OS map. The cairn is almost circular, 9.3m in diameter and 1.1m high. There is an old excavation hollow in the top. Trahair suggests that this could be a clearance cairn, but Quinnell notes that if so, it must be prehistoric to have warranted exploration.
Cairn at SX 2474 7545
It is located on a very slight south west slope in an area of moorland pasture free of stone. The cairn was first recorded by Trahair, who considered that it could be the result of stone clearance. In 1983, it was surveyed by Quinnell onto the RCHME's 1:2500 air photo plot. Quinnell describes the cairn as 5.0m in diameter and 0.8m high, with a small central excavation hollow.
Not shown on the OS 1/25000
Cairn at SX 2473 7545
The cairn was first recorded by Trahair, who considered that it could be the result of stone clearance. Quinnell describes the cairn as circular, 5.0m in diameter, and 0.7m high.
Not shown on the OS 1/25000
Possible cairn at SX 2470 7544
This possible cairn is a member of a compact cairn group located on a very slight south west slope, in an area of moorland pasture free of stone. The cairn was first discovered by Trahair, who suggested that it could be the result of clearance. Quinnell describes it as a triangular mound, 5.7m at its widest and 9.7m long and up to 0.7m high. It appears to have been recently disturbed.
Not shown on OS 1/25000
Cairn at SX 2487 7546
This cairn, which lies within a compact cairn field, is located in a flat valley with a slight west slope, in an area of grazed pasture enclosed by rough moorland with boulders. The cairn is circular, 11.8m in diameter, and 0.8m high. Top disturbed, but probably originally a flat platform type.
Possible long cairn at SX 2482 7543
This possible long cairn is part of a compact cairn group 500m to the east of Trewortha. It lies adjacent to an old track, in a flat valley with a slight west slope, in an area of grazed pasture enclosed by rough moorland with boulders. The cairn was probably first discovered by Trudgian and King, who made a rough survey of it in May 1974; although in 1974, Mercer scheduled a long cairn in the area which is probably to be identified with this. Quinnell describes the feature as a long low mound, 21m long, 3.7m wide and up to 0.8m high, though it varies a little throughout its length. Stone is exposed in part. Trudgian and King's plan shows a number of kerb stones and a 'marker' stone at the east end. Considered to be a very likely long example of a prehistoric long cairn by Rose.
Not shown on the OS 1/25000
Cairn at SX 2520 7536
Cairn, first recorded by Trahair in 1978. Surveyed by RCHME in 1983. It lies in an area of boulders and bracken, on a very slight NW slope, consists of earth and stone, and measures 6.5m by 5.2m and 0.8m high. Two narrow trenches have been dug from the north and west towards the centre where there is north - south aligned pit measuring 2.1m by 0.8m wide and 0.4m deep. An upright slab forms the east side of the pit and to the north a stone about 1.0m square lies partly buried. Trehair's view that this is a cairn and cist seems correct although it seems curious that coverstone, one end and one side stone are missing rather than displaced. There has been some clearance of small stones to the west of the cairn, possibly for its construction.
Cairn at SX 2557 7526
A probable prehistoric cairn located by RCHME air photo survey and surveyed on the ground by Quinnell in 1983. This cairn is on a slight northern slope, within an area of scattered stone, bracken and furze and is in fair condition. A moss and turf covered mound of stones, 6.5m in diameter and 0.5m high, with no evidence of excavation.
Cairn with kerb and cist at SX 2456 7503
This cairn is one in a group of three in scrubby moorland on a gentle west facing slope. It was first located by the OS reviser in 1958 and is shown on the 1963 OS map. It is mentioned by Trahair in his 1978 survey of barrows. The cairn is oval, measuring 5.1m by 4.4m overall and is up to 1.0m high on its lower side. It has a kerb of contiguous stones up to 1.1m high. The disturbed interior reveals a possible inner stone setting concentric with the kerb, 3.6m by 2.0m within which is a slab 1.4m long and 0.4m wide, aligned north west - south east, which may represent part of a cist. The residue of an excavation surrounds the cairn, with most of the material deposited to the north west.
Cairn with cist and kerb at SX 2452 7499
There is another possible ring cairn at SH61123094.
Gwynedd Archaeological Trust have it listed as a hut circle, but the most recent notes in 2001 say:
Possibly a ring cairn, not a hut circle. It has inner orthostatic thin slabs, no obvious entrance and on an exposed viewpoint. However, an old wall adjoins and there is possibly early field also. Also rather large for a hut circle 7m internal diameter (Smith 2001).
Round house settlement to the east of Moel y Geifr, alongside the track between the Y Gyrn cairns and Bryn Cader Fader. The site consists of scattered individual hut circles to the north at SH64543572, SH64433568 and SH64423549, and a more compact enclosed courtyard group at SH64533516.
There are suggestions of fragmentary field systems around the hut circles.
Dating could be anywhere between Bronze Age and Romano-British.
Yr Eifl means "the Trident", from its three striking peaks. The Welsh name has been Anglicised into The Rivals.
One the three peaks is occupied by the frankly astonishing Tre'r Ceiri hillfort, but is also topped with a large Bronze Age burial cairn. The other two summits also have BA cairns.
The highest of the three peaks, Garn Ganol, rising to 564m OD straight from sea-level at Nant Gwrtheryn, boasts two cairns, one substantial and intact, the other rather wrecked and fragmentary. GAT:
Summit cairn at SH36484474The northwestern peak (Garn For or Pen Bwlch yr Eifl) has been (and still is being) badly damaged by quarrying, but there is still a cairn on its summit. GAT:
A large featureless summit cairn on top of Yr Eifl. Visible on skyline from parts of Pen Llyn to W and SW and from Tre'r Ceiri to SE. Made from randomly piled large stones collected from around summit. A substantial hole, forming a shelter, has been dug into the cairn, about 2.5m wide and up to 0.8m deep. This contains broken glass, burnt plastic etc. Trig pillar also stands on cairn, also 1 small (1.5m diameter, 0.3m deep) excavation in W side.
Southwestern cairn at SH36464472
33.3m SW of the summit cairn. The top levelled and used as a platform for a small modern cairn.
Low circular cairn markedly different from the other cairn on Yr Eifl (PRN 616). Made up of small stones 5cm long with occasional larger 0.5m long slabs. Very low and flat in profile intervisible with Tre'r Ceiri cairn & Carnguwch. Could this cairn have been robbed to form 616?
A surprisingly large cairn considering that the summit area is quite small. There is an original cairn base about 10m diameter and up to 1.2m high and this has traces of laid slab kerbing in places - not just a heap. On this has been built a modern 'pillar' cairn about another 2m high and there has been other disturbance as well. The original cairn is so large and well-built it seems likely to be prehistoric and resembles those on Yr Eifl and Tre'r Ceiri.
There are four cairns in a linear group towards the northern end of the summit ridge of Mynydd Rhiw. A further cairn was destroyed by the erection of the radio transmitter to the west of this group.
Coflein details, south to north:
Cairn I (destroyed) (SH2297229496)
No trace of this cairn survives; it was removed during the construction of a radio station and mast. In 1939 it was described as being 18m in diameter.
Cairn II (SH2325029497)
Cairn situated on a prominent SW to NE aligned ridge of volcanic rock crossing the summit of Mynydd Rhiw.
An impressively sited cairn, comprising a max 17m diameter spread of stone that falls away down the hillslope. Within this spread there is a 6m diameter core some 1.5m high, within which a modern structure/shelter has been constructed.
Cairn III (SH2327429600)
The cairn is situated just 9m south of and below a more prominent cairn (Cairn IV). It comprises a low spread of stone 14m in diameter and 0.5m high into which a recent structure has been constructed. Around the north-west edge of the cairn, a series of stones may represent the original kerb.
This cairn appears to have been used as a sighting point on the line of the Parish Boundary. The boundary runs up and changes direction at the cairn and there is some suggestion that parts of the parish boundary may have earlier antecedents.
Cairn IV (SH2327829625)
The cairn sits on a high point of the ridge and is one of the largest, comprising a wide spread of stone 23m in diameter that is partly mixed with natural scree. Within this spread a 10m diameter pile stands up to 3m high and has a number of modern structures/shelters constructed in it.
Cairn V (SH2330429679)
The cairn comprises a spread of stone 12m in diameter, of which some material has fallen down the slope. The cairn stands up to 0.7m in height and is comprised sub-angular stones 0.2m to 0.4m in size. A small modern cairn has been constructed onto this cairn.
The summit of Beacon Batch is crowned with a superb round barrow cemetery, one of which has been rebuilt and topped with an Ordnance Survey trig pillar. A further two barrows lie to the east on the edge of the open access land.
Details of the prominent barrows from Somerset HER:
Burrington 11/T170 (ST 48375725)This next is to the SE of the trig point and the linear group, on the south side of the path:
A low mound with a cover of heather except at the S where the path has removed a broad swathe of vegetation. The stone of the mound is exposed and being loosened.
This barrow is the most westerly in a group of six (PRNs 24104, 24105, 24106, 24107 and 24108). The barrow is defined by a sub-circular mound which measures 10m in diameter. The barrow appears to have been incorporated into the Black Down bombing decoy (PRN 24114).
Burrington 13/T172 (ST 48455726)
2m high and 15m diameter with triangulation point on top Good turf cover apart from the top where everyone stands. Here stones are exposed but stable.
Burrington 14/T173 (ST 48485726)
1.75m high and 13m diameter. Whole of the top area dug into and stones exposed. There is active erosion down into the central hole which is 4m diameter and up to 1m deep. Grass covered with little heather.
This barrow is the third most easterly in a group of six (PRNs 24103, 24104, 24105, 24107 and 24108).
Burrington 15/T174 (ST 48525725)
2m high and 15m diameter. The maximum height is at the rim due to upcast from the centre hole which is 4m diameter and up to 1.75 deep. Loose stones lying in the bottom. Good turf cover.
This barrow is the second most easterly in a group of six (PRNs 24103, 24104, 24105, 24106 and 24108). An external ditch is situated adjacent to the eastern side of the mound measuring up to 2m in width.
Burrington 16/T175 (ST 48545725)
1.75m high and 15m diameter Marked central depression but no stone exposed. Good turf cover, some heather.This barrow is the most easterly in a group of six (PRNs 24103, 24104, 24105, 24106 and 24107). The mound has an external ditch measuring up to 3m in width. A sub-oval depression is visible in the top of the mound, probably the result of an excavation in the past, measuring up to 6m in length by up to 3m in width.
Burrington 20/T126 (ST 4861057150)The next two lie to the south of the trig point:
Mound 2m high and 15m diameter. Flat topped with a central animal hole Slight berm to the S. Heather covered. Major trackway passes by on the N side.
Burrington 18/T168 (ST 48455711)The final two barrows marked on the OS 1/25000 are to the east of the summit, on the edge of the access land:
0.25m high and 11m diameter. Not as obvious as some of the others in the group. Cut into on the SE side by a trackway running S from the trig point. Here cairn material is spilling out and being spread along the track. Central depression with a few stones exposed. Heather covered.
This barrow is the most westerly in a group of four (PRNs 24109, 24111 and 24112).
Burrington 19/T167 (ST 4848057080)
2m high and 15m diameter crossed by a trackway running c.SE from the trig point. Marked central depression where cairn stones are exposed. Covered with turf, heather and gorse on the SE side.
Appears stable under a cover of dense heather and low gorse. There is a narrow path across from N-S which is causing some erosion of the N crest of the mound. This barrow is the second most westerly in a group of four (PRNs 24109, 24110 and 24112).
Burrington 22/T166 (ST 4899056930)
Round barrow, isolated under heather and moorland 0.9m high and 18m diameter.
Possibly mentioned as "the broken barrow" in the Anglo Saxon charter of AD904 for Wrington. Path to west eroded by bikes and horses - path to east not as bad.
Blagdon 1/T165 (ST 4908057030)
Mound crossed by stone wall running c.N-S which is the old Burrington-Blagdon parish boundary. 1m high and 11m diameter, the W very small part lies in undisturbed heathland. The E part is very stony, part of very rough grazing. Stones cleared from the field at some time lie along the wall and on the barrow. There is also a certain amount of brick and mortar, possibly from a small building at one time, on the mound. Could have been recently dumped. A drainage ditch to the E of the stone wall approaches the barrow but stops short of it. The mound is very spread and almost devoid of vegetation.
Possibly the "broken barrow' referred to in the Anglo Saxon charter of Wrington (AD904).
Circular ditch identified indicates that centre of barrow is mostly destroyed by a path which is now avoided as muddy - path now diverts over ditch causing further erosion.
Two substantial if eroded Bronze Age round barrows and a possible third, at the western end of the summit ridge of Black Down. Details from Somerset HER:
Burrington 8/T177 (ST 47325710)
13m diameter and 1m high under heather. Whole area rather disturbed. There are several small deep holes on the mound where soil has been leeched from between the stones of the cairn. Lies on the N side of a well used ridge path.
A fairly prominent mound with a generally dense cover of heather. The southern edge is crossed by the path and is denuded of vegetation and suffering damage. Very muddy areas may mark the position of the barrow ditch.
Burrington 9/T178 (ST 47355710)
15m diameter and 1.75m high on N side of ridge path. The S edge of the mound is crossed by the path where some stone is exposed. Mound rather uneven with stones protruding, otherwise grass covered with a few heather plants.
A fairly prominent mound with a dense cover of heather except where crossed by the path. This has removed all vegetation and topsoil exposing the stone make-up of the mound. The path has made a significant depression in the top of the mound.
Burrington 9a/T179 (ST 47335707)
The southern mound is not very distinct but is probably a low, heather and gorse covered mound some way S of the path. Stable and undisturbed beneath dense ground cover.
This area of common north of Black Down is the site of an extensive Bronze Age cemetery of cairns and cremations. Beaker sherds were also found in Bos Swallet, a large sinkhole to the west of the cemetery. Details of the cairns that appear on the OS 1/25000, from the Somerset HER:
Burrington 1/T5 (ST4743058460)
Possible saucer barrow. Consists of a ring mound and an inner mound. Total diameter c41ft with mound 25ft diameter and 2.5ft high. Built of stones.
Excavated by H Taylor following R.F Read c1925 and 1950-6. Primary inhumation (inferred) with barbed wire type beaker (Clarke's Barbed-wire type no 784) in a grave 2ft 3ins by 3ft 7ins which also contained fragments of burnt bone. There were inner and outer ring-cairns or retaining circles. Secondary fragments included one accompanied by a food vessel, and a cremation with a primary series collared urn. On the W and SW margin of the barrow was a cremation cemetery.
Burrington 3/T6 (ST 47465836)
Possible saucer barrow total diameter 35ft and central mound about 1ft high.
Excavated by R.F Read in 1923 - primary cremation in stone cist 2ft by 1ft 8ins with fragment of polished flint implement. Mound truncated.
Section prior to excavation suggests a disc barrow. Cist was previously robbed.
Burrington 6c/T6c (ST 47435820)
Barrow 21ft diameter and 1.5ft high. One of several that occur locally but do not really fit into any category. Consists of a low mound roughly ring shaped with a gap in it communicating with the central depressed area. This area does not seem to be due to disturbance. The gap is to the S.
Information from Pastscape:
A cave near Burrington Combe, discovered by RF Read in 1919 and excavated by Professors Tratman and Palmer for the University of Bristol Speleological Society from 1919 to 1925 and again in 1929. The bulk of the material discovered relates to use of the cave in the Iron Age, with finds including pottery, antler cheek-pieces, bronze fittings for chariot wheels, part of a bronze bracelet, stone spindle whorls and some iron shackles. Some human remains and a quantity of animal bones were also discovered. The sole find of definite Roman date, a coin of Magnentius, is regarded by Branigan and Dearne as "an accidental contamination of the site".It was originally called Keltic Cavern.
Two cairns, now in (felled) forestry. Info from Pastscape:
Shipham 3/T8 (ST 46125844)
A round cairn excavated circa 1924. 37 feet in diameter and on average 2 feet high, a very small quantity of calcined human bone was found on the original ground surface beneath the mound,which was restored after excavation. The cairn is listed by Grinsell as Shipham 3, and by the UBSS as cairn T8. Circa 1960, a leaf-shaped flint arrowhead was found amongst road-spoil adjacent to the cairn. It seems unlikely to be associated.
Shipham 4/T7 (ST 46655843)
T.7: Tumulus 35' dia. x 1' high. Excavated 1923. Cremation found in inverted enlarged food vessel, Abercromby type 7, with pygmy cup nearby: the whole encircled by vertical slabs and covered by an internal cairn.
This is a multi-phase settlement site, according to CPAT. Some smaller round huts of a prehistoric type are mixed with larger sub-rectangular structures of a medieval or post-medieval type.
It's a perfect location, with easy access to running water in the Tawe below and the streams running from the plateau above.
There are apparently two monuments here, maybe both "hengiform", maybe one is a cairn, with maybe a standing stone near to the northern one.
All I can say is there's a lot of trees and vegetation in these parts. And a stone.
GGAT and Coflein have the following, somewhat contradictory records:
Graig y Gilfach 1 (north) (SO02940346)
This cairn was described by RCAHMW in 1960 as 'a cairn 6.4m in diameter with a flat, turf-covered top, built of loose stone on a natural boss of rock. Beside it on the W is a large block of stone (? an 'outlier') on which most of the outline of a millstone, 1.2m in diameter, has been shaped to a depth of 0.10m'. Coflein
Poor GPS coverage on day of site visit, but NGR appeared to be in quite a large area of fallen trees. This was searched as well as possible, but no cairn could be seen - possibly concealed below fallen trees.
The site is likely to be a hengiform monument (Wiggins and Evans 2005)
Remains of a round burial cairn situated within forestry on the edge of the summit of Twyn Gwersyllfa. The grass covered cairn is circular on plan and measures about 9.5m in diameter and up to 0.7m in height. The cairn was originally scheduled in 1961; however, the area covered by the original designation did not relate accurately to the remains on the ground.
Graig y Gilfach 2 (south) (SO0300103375)
Roughly circular monument consisting of an external bank, now spread and indistinct and clearly visible only at the W and N, with an internal ditch 0.4m wide and 0.3m deep. Most of interior falls within a clearing, which also contains the W side of the bank and ditch; elsewhere the bank and ditch are obscured by overhanging trees or have disappeared; young trees are self-sown in the SE quadrant of the enclosure. Classified by RCAHMW, with reservations, as a ring ditch, but actually appears closer in form to a henge, though because of damage to earthworks and low overhanging branches it was not possible to be certain whether there was any entrances. RCAHM however noted in 1960 that the bank was in ten straight sections. Dimensions: 25m diam; ?c0.3m high.Coflein
A subcircular enclosure, 21.3-24.4m in diameter, defined by a ditch with a slight external bank.
Showing 1-20 of 532 miscellaneous posts. Most recent first | Next 20
"The fleeting hour of life of those who love the hills is quickly spent, but the hills are eternal. Always there will be the lonely ridge, the dancing beck, the silent forest; always there will be the exhilaration of the summits. These are for the seeking, and those who seek and find while there is still time will be blessed both in mind and body." Alfred Wainwright