The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

D14 Eexterhalte

Hunebed

<b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by samImage © sam
Latitude:53° 0' 6.32" N
Longitude:   6° 43' 49.8" E

Added by Jane


Discussion Topics0 discussions
Start a topic



Show  |  Hide
Web searches for D14 Eexterhalte
Show map   (inline Google Map)

Images (click to view fullsize)

Add an image Add an image
Photographs:<b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by LesHamilton <b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by LesHamilton <b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by LesHamilton <b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by Billy Fear <b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by Billy Fear <b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by Billy Fear <b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by sam <b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by sam <b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by sam <b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by Jane Maps / Plans / Diagrams:<b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by Billy Fear <b>D14 Eexterhalte</b>Posted by Billy Fear

Fieldnotes

Add fieldnotes Add fieldnotes
Visited: September 5, 2012

With a length of 18 metres, D14-Eexterhalte numbers amongst the largest of the hunebedden. This hunebed lies close to the N33/N34 'Park and Ride' just to the west of Gieten. To walk from here to the site of the hunebed (takes about 40 minutes), follow the pedestrian underpass to the west of the N34, then the foot/cycle path that flanks the highway south for about 600 metres and turn right on to Verlengde Asserstraat. Continue for just over a kilometre till the intersection with Stationsstraat. Turn right (north) up this road and walk on for 200 metres till the field gives way, on the right hand side, to a small area of parkland with oak trees. Hunebed D14-Eexterhalte lies here.



The names 'Eexterhalte' and 'Stationstraat' hark back to the days when trains from Assen to Stadskanaal stopped at a station here. The trains are now long gone, and the former station is now the reception building at 'De Schaopsvolte' campsite, just across the road from the hunebed.

Traces of holes can be seen in some of D14's capstones, drilled centuries ago in an effort to split them using either gunpowder or wedges. In the Middle Ages, many hunebeds were wholly or partially destroyed in this way, their fragments being used in the building of churches or reinforcing coastal defences. In 1734, Drenthe issued a protection order on the remaining hunebedden, making it an offence to remove or damage their stones. Originally with a complement of nine capstones, only six remain on D14, the eastern three having long ago been broken up: two fragments bearing drill marks now lie inside the grave chamber.

D14 was excavated and restored by Van Giffen in 1927 when over twenty thousand fragments of pottery were unearthed. More recently, the monument was further restored in the 1960s and in 1996.

A short video about D14-Eexterhalte can be viewed on YouTube.
LesHamilton Posted by LesHamilton
24th August 2013ce
Edited 1st May 2014ce

D14 at Eexterhalte, near Eext and Gieten villages, is one of the bigger hunebedden, with six giant capstones all still up, a line of entrance stones and seven big kerbstones marking out the original shape. In a tree-lined clearing with it own parking space this must be a magnet for summer picnickers. Jane Posted by Jane
30th July 2007ce

Links

Add a link Add a link

Hans Meijer's Dolmens in the Netherlands


Jane Posted by Jane
30th July 2007ce