Despite the name, Over Low occupies quite a low lying position in a valley to the West of the East Staffordshire village of Stanton.
Wetton schoolmaster and Antiquarian Samuel Carrington opened Over Low in 1848. Two crouched burials were found, one of which was accompanied by a few flint implements and one sherd of coarse pottery. Source: "10 years diggings..." Bateman, T. 1861 p.127.
Over Low is 26m in diameter rising to a height of 1.3m. A public footpath leads from Stanton towards Over Low before splitting into two paths. The right-hand path goes along the valley bottom below the site. Blakelow Lane from Stanton snakes around the hill of Blake Low above the site and may provide a better view.
Scheduled Ancient Monument No.=1009411. Scheduled as Over Low Bowl Barrow.
RSM=13592. NMR=SK14 NW21
A second round barrow, Scrip Low, lay to the East of Over Low due South of Slade Hollow much nearer to Stanton village. In fact the public footpath from Stanton towards Over Low crosses the site of Scrip Low at SK1225 4609.
Scrip Low was opened by Carrington in 1850. An interment of calcined bones, fragments of burnt bone, a broken flint implement and two small pieces of plain earthenware were found.
On older O.S. maps Over Low and Scrip Low both appear labelled by name.
However, by the 1950s Scrip Low had been ploughed down and spread. It was descheduled in 1992.