The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian



Stone Circle

<b>Balhalgardy</b>Posted by LesHamiltonImage © Les Hamilton
Also known as:
  • Johnnie Kelly's Lass

Nearest Town:Inverurie (3km SSE)
OS Ref (GB):   NJ759243 / Sheet: 38
Latitude:57° 18' 31.27" N
Longitude:   2° 24' 0.29" W

Added by Chris

Discussion Topics0 discussions
Start a topic

Show map   (inline Google Map)

Images (click to view fullsize)

Add an image Add an image
<b>Balhalgardy</b>Posted by LesHamilton <b>Balhalgardy</b>Posted by drewbhoy


Add fieldnotes Add fieldnotes
The remains of this circle can be found by leaving the B9001 north of Inverurie at the Balhalgardy signpost. Go about a 1/2 mile and the farm of the same name is reached on the south side. In a field to the north the last remaining stone rests. The stone has fallen and broken into three being most famous for it's cup marks. to protect it from further damage a fence surrounds the area. In the next park is a massive pile of field clearance possibly a resting place for the missing five stones.

Further along the road is the site of the Battle of Harlaw and a monument dedicated to those who died. Slightly further along is the Liggar Stone.

Visited October 08.
drewbhoy Posted by drewbhoy
21st May 2009ce
Edited 21st May 2009ce


Add folklore Add folklore
"Often it is apparent that the names now in use have no connection with the origin of the monument, but are recent and frequently trivial additions. Johnnie Kelly's Lass, a large cup marked standing stone on the farm of Balhalgardy, near Inverurie, perhaps the sole remnant of a circle, furnishes a good example of the trivial origin of what may be curious and puzzling names. The name is just a century old. Johnnie Kelly, for long a farm servant at Balhalgardy, when old age came upon him, took to knitting stockings, a common country occupation in those times. On fine days he climbed to the stone, resting against it as he worked, and scanned the rich plains of Garioch; the humour of the countryside dubbed his constant companion "Johnnie Kelly's Lass," and the name stuck."

Folklore Of The Aberdeenshire Stone Circles 1926.
drewbhoy Posted by drewbhoy
21st May 2009ce


Add a link Add a link


Surveyed in 1771 as a 6 stone circle, only 1 was left when surveyed in 1964. Sadly, this has now fallen & been broken into 3 pieces. Notable for the 22 cup-marks recorded on it.
Chris Posted by Chris
27th September 2006ce