Of the two barrows on Chelmorton Low the SW barrow, at 24x21m diameter and some 1.7m in height, is the largest. Its partner 20m away (NE), being 18x17m and 1m high.
SW: Was first dug in the early 1780's, revealing a cist in the north-eastern edge of the mound,and containing the remains of perhaps five burials. Later excavations located a 20m diameter ring of limestone kerbing.
NE: Has been excavated by a number of people, amongst them T. Bateman in 1846 who recovered a number of flint artefacts and evidence of a cremation. Again work in the 1960's uncovered kerbstones, this time set out in a polygon shape