A stone circle near Clatford was first recorded by John Aubrey in the 17th cent. In 1723 Stukeley noted that in the lane, or rather Roman Road between Marlborough and Devizes, over against Clatford and on the edge of the meadow just by the side of the Kennet, close to Clatford Bottom "lie twelve stones flat upon the ground in the middle of the road which seems to widen on purpose for it and takes a little turn, too, upon that account. Eight of them seem to lie in a circle (see plan (2)) and the other four may possibly have been the entrance or beginning of an Avenue; they are all very large, being about the size and shape of the stones of the outer circle of Stonehenge.
I measured one, 16 1/2ft long, 2yds broad .... There are two barrows within site of it .... a little further westward you turn on the right into the fields which leads (leaving a barrow on the left hand) into the Clatford Bottom".
The stones have long since disappeared, Colt Hoare only being able to cite Aubrey as evidence, and AC Smith could not identify the site in the 1880's (1).
Free (3) considers the site to be on a piece of unenclosed ground SE of Clatford cross roads on which there is still a Pound, (SU 16106840). The area is known as Broken Crosses.
Grinsell (4) sites the circle to SU 16106855, quoting Piggott. Meyrick, however, mentions 'The Broadstones' as being the local name for the circle and "Broadstone W Meadow" shown by Smith as the Tithe Map name for the narrow strip between the Bath road and the Kennet, bounded on the west by Clatford Bottom and on the east by Plough Cottage. (Area SU 16126900) "Bradstone mede" can be dated back to 1466. (5). (1-5) A topographical view of the stone circle, bisected by a road and contained within wide verges, appears on a drawing of 1722 (b). The site lies above Broadstone Mead (c) on the N side of the river where the road forms a junction with a secondary track. (6) The map with the Inclosure Award of 1792 (d) suggests that the "Lord Bruce's Arms" now "Elm cottage" at SU15916898, was built where the road had locally widened or deviated. There is now no evidence of this, though it is feasible, and the plot lies immediately north of "Broadstone Watermeadow" (e). Stukeley's ground observations of barrows etc, can also be deduced from this area. The siting indicated by Grinsell and Free seems largely based on the field name "Broken Crosses". Neither the Tithe nor the Inclosure map shows any local widening of the road in the vicinity. (7)
SU16 NE4 probable site at SU161684. Colt Hoare in the early 1800's only referenced the early writers and towards the end of that century A.C. Smith was unable to find it. The 'Broadstones' location would have been destroyed by a 1792 (approx.) road widening. The other suggestion is the 'Broken Crosses' area, which is SE of Clatford crossroads.