A rare and curious example of a preserved excavation of a Mesolithic dwelling.
The site was discovered in the late 1940s by Sir E. Beddington Behrens who noticed the existence of flint flakes, tools and weapons dating to the Mesolithic Era. It was excavated and preserved by Dr. Louis and Mary Leakey of Olduvai Gorge fame in Dec. 1950. Hearths and post-holes found suggest that it was a temporary hunting camp.
A small museum, which covers the site has more information and a selection of artifacts.
The site is on private land and the key to the Museum is held at Manor Farm. Local schools occasionally visit in pre-booked parties but for individual trips it is better to contact the landowner on 01306 730760.
The site is either accessible from Manor Farm, across fields, or from a field gate near the bottom of the hill.