A standing stone used to stand near here, but it was buried close to its original position in the 1930s. The grid reference given above is where it is now buried. In 2002, archaeologists working on behalf of Historic Scotland excavated and recorded it, then re-buried it. Coles reported in 1911 that the stone was carved with a "'crescent symbol' of axe-like shape", but no trace was found of this in 2002. It may be that he was confusing this stone to the nearby King's Stone (still above ground) also at Denmarkfield, which has an axe-shaped carving on it.