Barrow cemetery of five bowl barrows on the edge of a large plain. The excellent ‘Hampshire Treasures’ resource gives the following information – “The Butts. A - 15.0 m diameter and 0.9 m high. Mutilated by a trench. B - 11.0 m diameter and 0.8 m high. Mutilated. C - 10.5 m diameter and 0.6 m high. D - 16.5 m diameter and 1.2 m high. Depression in centre. E - 15.0 m northeast of barrow D. Low heather covered mound approx 9.0 m diameter and 0.5 m high. Hollow in centre. No visible ditch. O.S.A No. SU21 NW7. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 14, 1935, (Grinsell), p.357.”
Roman pottery kilns were located just 400 m south in Island Thorns lnclosure (at SU215152) which manufactured and widely distributed a large variety of New Forest ware in the 3rd and 4th centuries. Later Romano-British pottery kilns were located further south at Crock Hill (at SU214144).