Once you've crossed the field and are on the moor itself the stone wall dog-legs to the left and this is where the rock is - in a direct line with Carr Farm and the radio mast.
It really is a beautiful carving.
This carving is situated on the east side of Snowdon Carr just before a fieldwall. A low flattish boulder has around 18 cup marks with 11 of them linked with grooves to a central ‘stem’ resembling a leaf or a tree, hence the stones name, with other interlinking grooves around parts of the design.
Although this is quite a long rock, the carving are confined to the eastern end (there are a couple of simple cups on the western end), This could have be due to the view looking in this direction over the Washburn valley with the river curving away to the left and right, and the hill of Norwood Edge straight ahead. This ancient view has been altered in modern times with Swinsty Reservoir now to the left with Menwith Hill’s golfballs beyond it, and a large radio mast on top of Norwood Edge.
GPS Ref - SE17980, 51167
E.T. Cowling in "Rombalds Way" (1946) describing the Tree of life stone, records that ......
"it is one of the few known to local inhabitants, and marks the site of many May day religious services." Mayday folklore and customs have often been related to promoting fertility in people, animals and the land. Perhaps there is a link to Yorkshires' other carved stone The Fertility Stone