Little is known about this long barrow although it is one of the best preserved in the area, probably due to its position within Beacon Plantation spinney and the fact that it stands next to a main road. Constructed as a trapezoid mound that originally measured around 78 metres by 19 metres which has been truncated at the southern end. This end still stands to a height of 2 metres and it is probable that it is actually a later round barrow that was built into the long barrow - it is also believed to have been used as a medieval beacon - hence the name.
Unlike many other barrows in the area, it traverses the contours of the landscape, but is similarly oriented in a southeast to northwest direction standing below the crest of a high ridge that overlooks the valley of Great Eau
An easy barrow to find, Beacon Plantation is right next to the A16 between Walmgate and White Pit. - parking is now easy as there a new layby just to the west.
There is a Long Barrow on the roadside at Walmsgate, in the Wolds; locally the name is pronounced Wormsgate, and it is said that once, long ago, three Dragons lived in the neighbourhood, devastating the land. An unnamed hero took arms against them. He slew one, and it is buried in the long mound - this accounts for the name Wormsgate. Another Dragon flew away towards the Trent, but did not succeed in crossing that river. It settled down in Corringham Scroggs, a flight of some 35 miles; the place was known as Dragon's Hole ever after; in fact, it is mentioned in the late Enclosure Award of 1852. The third Dragon was fatally wounded, and crept away and died at the next village of Ormsby, which they say was once Wormsby.
From: Folklore of Lincolnshire: Especially the Low-Lying Areas of Lindsey, by E. H. Rudkin, in Folklore, Vol. 66, No. 4. (Dec., 1955), pp. 385-400.