The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

     

Fiddler's Hill

Round Barrow(s)

<b>Fiddler's Hill</b>Posted by AcheronImage © Acheron
Nearest Town:Wells-Next-The-Sea (5km WNW)
OS Ref (GB):   TF961410 / Sheet: 132
Latitude:52° 55' 48.49" N
Longitude:   0° 55' 4.7" E

Added by Rhiannon


Discussion Topics0 discussions
Start a topic



Show map   (inline Google Map)

Images (click to view fullsize)

Add an image Add an image
<b>Fiddler's Hill</b>Posted by Acheron

Fieldnotes

Add fieldnotes Add fieldnotes
Not the most spectacular Norfolk barrow, but worth seeing if you're visiting the nearby Warham Camp.
There is room for one vehicle to park at the entrance of the site.
The barrow was damaged on the north side in 1933 during road building, which revealed three human burials and a dog.
Acheron Posted by Acheron
19th July 2014ce

Folklore

Add folklore Add folklore
Legend of Fiddler's Hill
Does Warham Discovery Prove Old Legend True.

Is the old legend of Fiddler's Hill, Warham, true?
What appears to be surprising confirmation of it has been brought to light by Norfolk County Council men working on the roads. They have discovered in a mound at the crossing of the Wighton and Stiffkey road and the Binham and Warham road the skeletons of a man and a dog.

For generations the cross-roads have been known as Fiddler's Hill because of the old folk story of the fiddler. Centuries ago there was a secret passage joining Walsingham Abbey to Binham Priory. One day a fiddler and his dog, runs the legend, attempted to walk from the Abbey to the Priory by way of the old secret tunnel. Their progress was followed by some friends above ground, for as he walked, the fiddler played. The strains of the music were plainly heard slowly moving away from Walsingham towards Fiddler's Hill. Then they ceased. The fiddler and his dog were never seen again, but mysterious music, it is sometimes heard at midnight.

The bones have been handed over to the police, who took them to Dr. Hicks, of Wells, for examination. Later they may be seen by an anthropologist.
From the Thetford and Watton Times, 15th April 1933.
Rhiannon Posted by Rhiannon
9th May 2017ce

Fiddler's Hill comes complete with picnic site, you lucky people.
It was thought that there was an underground tunnel connecting Binham Priory with the one at Walsingham. One day a fiddler decided to check the tunnel out to see if it was true. He took his dog with him for company. As he set off he started playing his fiddle, and the people of Binham followed the sound above ground. After a while the music suddenly stopped. This coincided with them reaching the mound now known as Fiddler's Hill. The fiddler was never seen again (although his dog finally made it back to the entrance shivering and whining). The entrance to the tunnel mysteriously fell in.

I belive the story is similar to some in other parts of the country. William Mayne's 'Earthfasts' uses a drummer boy to replace the fiddler.
The veracity of [this incident] is, however, proof against the valiant deeds of bygone generations, becauase "Jimmy Griggs" and his canine friend "Trap" were characters well known to the great-grandfathers of many of the unimpeachable inhabitants of Binham.
From 'History of the Borough of King's Lynn, volume 1' by Henry J Hillen (1907).
Rhiannon Posted by Rhiannon
2nd May 2002ce
Edited 9th May 2017ce