A fairly well-preserved early Neolithic long barrow on Hambledon Hill. Both long barrows (see also ST 81 SW 18) on Hambledon Hill appear to have been known by the same name by the later 19th century. The earthworks on Hambledon Hill were surveyed by RCHME in 1996. See the parent record (ST 81 SW 17) and the archive report for full details. This, the more northerly of the two long barrows, is located on a narrow spine of land which forms the central portion of the hillfort spur. Orientated south-south-east to north-north-west, the barrow measures 66 metres in length and is slightly trapezoid, diminishing in width from 16 metres to 13 metres, and in heigh from 2.5 metres to 1.8 metres from south to north; this implies that the front end faced south. Straight flanking ditches can be traced on each side of the barrow as minimal depressions or level terraces. A number of slight interruptions in the course of the western ditch may indicate that they were discontinuous or causewayed. A V-shaped trench cut through the middle of the barrow from west to east almost certainly represents antiqyarian excavation. It was commented on by Charles Warne (1872) though he does not mention any finds and it is uncertain if he knew when the excavation occurred. Other smaller holes dug into the barrow may also be excavations.