An early but fairly short Neolithic long barrow on Hambledon Hill, totally excavated in 1977 and now reconstructed as an earthwork. Both long barrows (see also ST 81 SW 11) on Hambledon Hill appear to have been known by the same name by the later 19th century. This, the more southerly of the two long barrows, is situated between the main causewayed enclosure (ST 81 SW 17) and the southern cross-dyke (ST 81 SW 63), and may pre-date the initial construction of both of these earthworks. Survey by RCHME in 1959 showed the barrow to be circa 26 metres long by 13 metres wide, diminishing in height from circa 1 metre at the northern end. Its slightly trapezoid shape, together with an opening at the northern end in the surrounding ditch (revealed by later excavation) suggest that it faced north, towards the main causewayed enclosure. The mound was almost completely destroyed prior to ploughing, and was consequently totally excavated by Roger Mercer in 1977. It has since been reconstructed as a simple oval mound, 27 metres long by 10 metres wide and up to 1.3 metres high. Excavation showed the flanking ditches to have been dug as a series of interlinked pits which curved inwards at both ends of the barrow and linked up at the southern end. The ditches had experienced a similar sequence of use and re-use to those of the main causewayed enclosure. Large quantities of Neolithic bowl pottery were recovered from the primary ditch silts. A few fragments of human bone were recovered from the bulldozed material which had formed the mound. The earthworks on Hambledon Hill were surveyed in 1996 by RCHME. See the parent record (ST 81 SW 17) and the archive report for full details.