A disc barrow located on the boundary between the parishes of Long Crichel and Tarrant Launceston. Listed by RCHME as Tarrant Launceston 46 and by Grinsell as Long Crichel 25. RCHME described it as a circular ditch circa 150 feet in diameter with traces of both an inner and an outer bank visible. A small mound is located within the enclosed area, slightly southeast of the centre. The linear earthwork ST 91 SW 40 appears to cut the outer bank on the southern side of the barrow.
A group of up to seven round barrows, all ploughed out, clustered together on Launceston Down. RCHME mentions "at least 5 small barrows located around ST 95451145", whereas the Ordnance Survey initially identified 6 (marked on the 1891 6 inch map), a seventh being identified in 1954. Grinsell, following the Ordnance Survey, lists six barrows (as Tarrant Launceston 19a-f). The area plan in RCHME's "Bokerley Dyke" volume again shows only 5. This group has been identified with 5 "low, small tumuli" examined by Warne and Shipp "on the longest day of 1864". Numbered 36 - 40 by Warne, details are as follows: 36 - nothing found; 37 - a secondary burial comprising a damaged urn containing cremated bone and ashes plus the tip of a bronze dagger; 38 - a possible primary cremation in an urned contained within a pit below the mound; 39 - a probable secondary cremation in an upright urn; 40 - a primary cremation within a pit below the mound, plus two secondary cremations, one within an urn. Further discoveries occurred in 1938. S and CM Piggott investigated some World War 1 training trenches , one of which cut through the barrow group. They found the remains of three Deverel-Rimbury vessels exposed in the sides of the trench, each containing cremated bone, one of them also containing a bronze spearhead fragment. A small hole was also found, containing the remains of a further pottery vessel but lacking any associated cremation. The Piggotts felt that these represented an "urnfield" (ie a cremation cemetery rather than a further levelled barrow) broadly contemporary with the small barrows, the pottery recovered by Warne being broadly comparable.
The Launceston Down North Group comprised a cluster of at least five small barrows located around 95451145, 220 ft. above O.D. on the southward-facing slope of a dry combe falling E. to the Crichel brook; all have now been levelled by cultivation, but each barrow was examined by J. H. Austen in 1864. One yielded nothing. Another yielded a cremation, probably secondary, in an urn now lost, together with 'the point of a bronze spear or dagger'. A third barrow yielded a primary cremation in a barrel urn of 'South Lodge' type, in a pit cut in the Chalk. A fourth barrow yielded a cremation, probably secondary, in a similar urn. A fifth barrow yielded a primary cremation in a pit, and two cremations, probably secondary, above it, one of the latter having a plain urn (C.T.D., Pt. 2, nos. 36–40; Ant. J., XIII (1933), 447; Arch. J., CXIX (1962), 20, 54, 55). In 1938 four more urns, not covered by barrows but apparently part of an urnfield, were found in the vicinity of the barrow group; three of them contained cremations, one with a fragment of a bronze spearhead (Arch., XC (1944), 50, 60, 61).
(45) Bowl (95821132), now levelled by ploughing, but visible as a ring-ditch soil-mark, lies at 230 ft. above O.D. on the northward-facing slope of a dry combe which falls E. to the Crichel brook. The first Dyke noted above (16) skirts it on the S. Diam. about 30 ft.
(46) Disc (95881133), 70 yds. E. of (45) and in a similar situation and condition, lies on the parish boundary with Long Crichel; it consists of a circular ditch, 150 ft. in diameter, with traces of an inner and an outer bank, and of a small mound S.E. of the centre. Dyke (16) appears to cut the outer bank on the S.
(47) Bowl (95731150), on the S.-facing slope of a dry combe, 220 ft. above O.D. and now levelled by ploughing; diam. about 30 ft.
(48) Bowl (95771153), 55 yds. N.E. of (47) and on the parish boundary with Long Crichel, is now levelled; former diam. 60 ft., ht. 1 ft. (Dorset Barrows, Long Crichel No. 4). Beaker sherds were found in a rabbit scrape on the mound in 1937 (note by C. D. Drew, D.C.M.).
(49) Bowl (95591190), in the extreme N. of the parish, on a gentle N. slope at 250 ft. above O.D., was excavated by S. and C. M. Piggott in 1938 (No. 10); it contained a primary cremation in a barrel urn (Arch., XC (1944), 61–2, 72–3; Arch. J., CXIX (1962), 55; Helinium, I (1961), 116).