(SS 87544153) Great Rowbarrow (NR) The cairn known as 'Great Rowbarrow' is situated close to the moorland trackway to Lang Combe Head and on the E. side of it. It is a large cairn, much mutilated by deep hollows and high ridges, especially along the N. half of the mound. The greater part of the cairn has a bank-shaped footing of heaped stones, but there is little sign of thison the south side. The diameter of this rather irregular structure is circa 70ft. and from 6-7ft. high. This is a very disturbed cairn, listed by Grinsell as Cutcombe 3. (See GP AO/65/133/6). (4, 5) SS 87534154. Cutcombe 3. Great Rowbarrow, mutilated cairn including ruins of modern stone-heap now integrated with the original cairn. It is named Great Barrow on the Tithe Map of 1840. Cutcombe 4a. "One or two of Rowbarrows had been examined incompletely" on 2 November 1807 (6, 7) (SS 84 SE 8, 9 & 10 are knownas 'Rowbarrows').
SS 8754 4153. Great Rowbarrow, a large heavily mutilated cairn situated on a prominent hilltop at 507 metres O.D. Composed of boulders and stones it measures approximately 22 metres overall with a maximum height of about 1.6 metres. A crude (? modern) cairn, 0.4 metres high and constructed of fairly large stones, has been erected on the top, and two small circular wind shelters occupy parts of the mound. There is no evidence of a kerb and the apparent rim, a 4.0 metres wide band of small stone enclosing part of the mound has almost certainly been caused by random excavation or disturbance. Small shallow and amorphous quarry pits, probably the source of some cairn material, lie to the west and south. Visible on A.P.s (10, 11). (12)
The cairn is as described by authority 7 and lies at SS 87545 41536. It was surveyed using GPS as part of the RCHME East Exmoor project (13).
The heavily mutilated mound known as Great Rowbarrow, probably a cairn of Bronze Age date, can be seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs centred on circa SS 87544153, approximately 1.6 kilometres to the west of Dunkery Beacon. The earthwork measures up to 25 metres in diameter and field investigation reveal it stands up to 1.6 metres high. Numerous small and shallow quarry pits, probably the source of the cairn material, lie to the south and west of the monument. (14, 15)