ST 0672 3426: Tumulus (NR) Tumulus (NR). Round barrow 600 yards south west of Tilsey Plantation. Scheduled. Bowl barrow cairn 18 paces by 3 feet. (3)
This is a large, much disturbed bowl barrow 0.9 metres high. There is a fairly heavy concentration of stone on the surface but much of this probably resulted from field clearance during the war. Surveyed at 1/2500. See GP's AO/65/68/1 & 2 stereo pair. (4)
ST06723425. Elworthy 1. A cairn north west of Elworthy barrows (ST 03 SE 1). Visited by Grinsell in May 1952 when it was under grass and measured 18 paces in diameter by 3 feet in height.Elworthy 1a. A barrow "in a field adjoining Elworthy Barrows".
"Said to have been destroyed 1833, when was found a ring of stones encircling a quantity of ashes, among which was a stone or flint 'Spear-head", not preserved. Perhaps this may be barrow Elworthy 1". (However Elworthy 1 is not strictly in a field adjoining Elworthy Barrows). (5-8)
This barrow is located in a pasture field on the eastern edge of the Brendon Hills at ST 0672 3426. The barrow survives as a large, spread ovoid mound, 20.8 metres N-S and 16 metres E-W. It is 0.9 metres high. The mound is turf covered and the top has a scattering of large blocks of stone - probably the result of recent field clearance. The top of the mound has been disturbed by a linear trench, possibly caused by vehicle damage (9).
ST 6723 3426: Bowl barrow 650 metres north west of Elworthy Barrows hillfort in an area known locally as Higher Hill. The mound is 19.5 metres diameter and 1.2 metres high. Scheduled. (10)
This mound is visible on a number of aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards. It has been transcribed as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey. Centred on circa ST 0671834262, the mound appears to measure approximately 19 metres long by 15 metres across, orientated roughly ENE-WSW. (11)