[SS 73454190] Chains Barrow (NR) Chains Barrow (Exmoor No. 2), is 25 paces in diameter and 6 ft high: there is an OS trig pillar on top. Scheduled (3). (2,3)A large bowl barrow apparently undisturbed except by the OS trig pillar. See GP AO/65/129/3 Published survey (1/2500) revised.
Exmoor 2. Chains Barrow listed, details as Authy 2. Visited by Grinsell 8th Sept 1959. This or Exmoor 3(SS 74SW 5) may have been called Exaborough in the 17th century (7). It is known as Cheyne Barrow in 1653. (6,7)
SS 7345741904. Chains Barrow is prominently situated in an area of grassland on the summit of The Chains ridge about 485m above OD. There are panoramic views; NW to the Chapman, Longstone and Wood Barrows, E to Alderman's Barrow and Dunkery Beacon, and triangulation pillar is set into the summit slightly SW of its centre and the base is eroded to a depth of about 0.2m into the barrow.
The barrow is evident as a turf-covered, flat-topped earth and stone mound of 1.7m maximum height and varying in overall diameter from 23.6m N/S to 24.8m E/W. Its sides are badly eroded in places probably by sheep. There is a distinct change of profile at the edge of the flat top which is some 15.5m in diameter. Although there is no documentary evidence for excavation the uneven surface of the summit area suggests spoil may have been backfilled and consolidated to support the trig pillar. There are traces of a surrounding ditch, about 2m wide and 0.2m maximum depth, evidenced by a shallow rush-filled hollow around the periphery.
The barrow is a Scheduled monument (a) and is surrounded by peat cuttings which have come close to the ditch on the SW side. It has been enclosed by a fence to protect it from sheep and cattle however this is too close to the rim of the barrow, actually encroaching on the outer lip of the ditch, and it is causing an erroneous edge to the feature, especially around the S arc.