Description: Large oval enclosure (max. dims. c. 400m NW-SE; c. 300m NE-SW; int. dims. 380m NW-SE; 270m NE-SW) defined by two ramparts, enclosing the summit of Baltinglass Hill with extensive views to the N, E and S and overlooking 'Rathnagree' hillfort (WI027-010----) c. 500m to the N. The ramparts are up to 16m in width, are best defined at the N and NW, and are largely composed of stone. The average distance between ramparts is 15m. There is no clear indication of an entrance. The interior rises towards the SE corner of the site, and there is a large amount of loose stone and many rock outcrops within the ramparts. At the summit there is a passage tomb (WI027-026003-) surrounded by a massive protective drystone wall (Wth 3m; H 2m) built with stones from the cairn which had covered the passage tomb. There are two possible hut sites in the interior (WI027-026002-, WI027-026004-), and a cairn (WI027-076----) outside the outer rampart on the SW side. (CUCAP, AYP 27-30; ASU 48) (Price 1934, 34)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Wicklow' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1997). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.