(SP 04881576) (1). The long barrow in Sales Lot field measured 120ft by 33ft by 3ft high before excavation; aligned NW/SE. It was discovered in 1962 during agricultural work, and was excavated by Mrs O'Neil from 1963-5, when it was found to
have an entrance between horns at the east end, opening into an elliptical forecourt. An antechamber and passage led to a burial chamber enclosed within two concentric ring walls (c.f. Notgrove. SP 02 SE 19). This was empty, apart from a sherd of Western Neolithic pottery, but remains elsewhere in the barrow indicated that at least eighteen persons had been interred
there. Of two shallow graves at the NW end of the barrow and contemporary with it, one contained a crouched skeleton and the other some human teeth an a flint arrowhead. In the forecourt were found the post-holes, hearth and other remains of a thatched dwelling of Neolithic date; probably late in the period and associated with Peterborough ware from the floor. It had apparently been deliberately plundered and burned down, still within the Neolithic period. The quantity of flint flakes found in and around the barrow suggested a chipping floor and occupation site in the vicinity. Finds of later periods included a beaker burial from the centre of the core of the mound, and sherds of RB pottery and two fragments of tegulae stamped VLA from beneath the turf covering of the barrow. (1-2)
A long barrow, situated at SP 04871578 within an arable field upon a gentle SE-facing slope. Reduced by stone robbing and by excavation to little more than a thin spread of loose limestone fragments of varying sizes, it is orientated NW-SE and measures 36.0m in length and in width increases, NW to SE, from 8.0 to 14.0m with an average height of 0.4m. At 15.0m from the SE end, excavation has exposed twin parallel drystone walls following a semicircular course across the width of the barrow. They stand 1.0m apart and reach in height from 0.3m to 0.8m at the centre. A further 5.0m of drystone revetting is exposed along the NE side towards the SE end (see 1:1000 sketch plan) Divorced survey on permatrace at 1:2500. (3) Interesting constructional features of this excavated/robbed long barrow still remain exposed; particularly the concentric ring-walls of drystone construction, and the perimeter wall revetting and kerbing. There are a large number of naturally-holed stones remaining in the core material. The barrow form can still be recognised. What now remains of this feature should be subject to a DOE scheduling order. (4)
A Neolithic long barrow is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs taken in 1946. The site is centred on SP 0486 1578 and measures 36 metres long by between 13 and 17 metres wide. The long barrow is oriented NW-SE, and appears to have been disturbed on the aerial photographs taken in 1962, with several small pits cut into the surface. The statement by authority 1-2 above suggesting that the barrow was discovered during agricultural work may suggest that the monument was significantly plough damaged between 1946 and 1962 (6).