A single-chambered grave, which was removed forever, together with everything else in the the square mile area (fields, trees, farmhouses, etc) was cleared to make way for an areadrome between 1941 & 43 – dumped in the sea with other camp rubbish, when the American’s took over in 1942.
It consisted of three massive side-walls and 2 portal pillars, but during the period before the war it was already missing it’s Cap-Stone. It’s location was in the centre of a tiny field, surrounded by a low oval Cairn. Before it’s destruction it was overgrown it bushes & obviously not deemed important. Very sad!
In 1948, a Mr E. E. Evans reported in the Ulster Journal of Archoelogy that nothing remained. He only recovered one small fragment of Bronve-Age pottery & a cremated bone.
Note: Since those dark days, the areadrome was removed bit by bit, but the area surounding is potted with sand-pits old and new. You can see the fragments of the concrete everywhere in Greencastle & Cranfield, as it’s been used as wall building material in an area with few stones.