Roman barrow cemetery with possible Bronze Age origins. Only one survives as an earthwork. This was enlarged for use as a medieval motte and bailey and a windmill mound. It was also used as a Civil War gun emplacement and incorporated into a public garden after 1790.
A - TR 1477 5736: Danejohn Mound [NR]. (1)
B - TR 1469 5726 :
C - TR 1486 5732 :
D - TR 1504 5753
Sited from map (4) full description and history. (2)
Four Roman barrows (3), called Dungil Hills, or Dane John of which only one, the Danejohn (A) remains in a mutilated state (known 17th -18th century as Donjon: Dungeon: Dungil). In 1790, when the area was turned into a public park, this was smoothed and rounded and raised 18 feet in height. A ditch, which was filled in, encircled two-thirds of the base and suggests a possible adaption as a Norman motte. During the Civil War the mound was a gun platform and at one time a windmill stood on it . (4) A late Bronze Age socketed axe was found in barrow 'B'. Apart from this all the finds from these barrows appear to be Roman or later. Scheduled. (5)