SK 6059 1286 Two Early Bronze Age ring ditches were photographed from the air and subsequently excavated prior to quarrying in 1976. One was a small ring ditch of c 16 metres diameter while the second, a double ring ditch, was 35 metres and 51 metres and in diameter. The smaller barrow appears to have contained an inhumation burial, which did not survive the acid soil. To one side of this was a small cremation burial of 11 burials, 3 in large collared urns. The larger barrow contained at least 5 burials, the primary burial being a crouched inhumation with grave goods consisting of a food vessel, a pygmy cup, a plano-convex flint knife, a broken flint knife, a small stone vessel and a stone knife. Another burial pit containing a collared urn but no skeleton was cut into the top of the primary burial. Other burials in the barrow were cremations. (1)
Platts Lane: archaeological watching brief and excavation prior to gravel extraction (1999) revealed the denuded remains of a Bronze Age round barrow. To the South West lay evidence of a round house of Iron Age date. A series of later burials cut into the barrow which held seven groups of Early Medieval Anglo-Saxon ironwork, mainly spearheads. Other material from the mound included a complete Roman pottery vessel and a glass bead and Bronze Age/Iron Age pottery. To the East a small rectilinear enclosure, a post alignment, field systems and a palaeochannel were recorded.