The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian


Carreg Fyrddin

Standing Stone / Menhir

Also known as:
  • Merlin's Stone

Nearest Town:Carmarthen (5km WSW)
OS Ref (GB):   SN4606021073 / Sheet: 159
Latitude:51° 51' 59.28" N
Longitude:   4° 14' 9.87" W

Added by Rhiannon

Discussion Topics0 discussions
Start a topic

Show map   (inline Google Map)


Add folklore Add folklore
On the south side of the railway on Ty Llwyd Lands is a stone marked in the Ordnance Map as "Carreg Myrddyn", which has Oghams, and on its north-western side a hollow near the top. The tradition respecting this monolith is that Merlin Ambrosius prophesied that a raven would drink up a man's blood off it; and a rather remarkable coincidence is said to have taken place within the memory of persons who were alive about fifteen years ago. A man hunting for treasure-trove sought, by digging on one side, to get at the base. The earth gave way, and the stone fell upon and crushed him to death. The proprietor of the soil ordered the stone to be placed back in its original position, to effect which it took the full strength of five horses drawing with strong chains.
From Archaeologia Cambrensis for 1876.
Rhiannon Posted by Rhiannon
1st January 2013ce
Edited 1st January 2013ce


Add miscellaneous Add miscellaneous
Parish of ABERGWILI.
Carreg Fyrddin, 'Merlin's Stone' (6 in. Ord. Surv. sheet, Carm. 40 N.W.; lat 51'52'1", long. 4'14'14").

This stone stands in a field called Parc y maen llwyd on the farm of Ty llwyd. The farmstead is placed at the foot of the picturesque height called Merlin's Hill, and the stone has a place in the traditions of the neighbourhood concerning Merlin. It stands 5 feet above ground, is 4 feet 6 inches broad, and 1 foot thick; it faces south. Certain marks on this stone have been thought to be Ogam characters, but they are probably only accidental or random scorings. A highly fanciful sketch of them is given in Westwood's Lapidarium Walliae, pl. 47, fig. 1; and the stone is referred to in Arch Camb., 1876, IV, vii, 236; ib., 1877, IV, viii, 137.

About 150 yards north-east of Carreg Fyrddin and on the same farm of Ty llwyd, are two meini hirion, separated 50 feet from each other. They are about 4 feet high, and 4 feet 6 inches broad. They bear no distinctive names, nor is any tradition connected with them. - Visited, 24th September, 1912.
From An inventory of the ancient monuments in Wales and Monmouthshire: V - County of Carmarthenshire.

I don't know if any of these stones still exist. They're not mentioned on the Coflein map. It would be a shame if they don't.
Rhiannon Posted by Rhiannon
1st January 2013ce
Edited 2nd January 2013ce