Mr. Tate set off to examine the stone cover of an ancient British sepulchre, which was discovered a few years ago on Goat's-know, Edington hill, formed of upright slabs of sandstone, but in which nothing was found. The cist was broken up, but the cover was removed farther down the hill and there used for the outlet of a drain. This cover is an unhewn slab of the sandstone of the district, 4ft. 2in. long and 3ft. 1in. broad, and on its rough surface remain artificial markings, the principal form being a round hollow or cup, from which curves away a groove, extending into a wavy line 27in. long. From the upper part of this groove another short groove issues, ending in a small cup. Other cups and lines can be traced, but not distinctly, in other parts of the stone. The figures are undoubtedly the work of art, for the tool-marks are still visible.
From volume 6 of the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club (for 1869). The Canmore record here is much less enthusiastic. But surely there's no arguing with the illustrious Mr Tate? There's more description in the same volume here.