The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

     

Bowood

Nearest Town:Calne (3km ENE)
OS Ref (GB):   ST96807015 / Sheet: 173
Latitude:51° 25' 47.29" N
Longitude:   2° 2' 45.73" W

Added by Chance


Discussion Topics0 discussions
Start a topic



Show map   (inline Google Map)

Sites in this group:

Sites of disputed antiquity:
1 post
Bowood Park Mound Round Barrow(s)
1 post
Hoare Stone Standing Stone / Menhir (Destroyed)
1 post
Laggus Farm Mound Round Barrow(s)
3 posts
Loxwell Sacred Well

Miscellaneous

Add miscellaneous Add miscellaneous
Bowood is the ancestral estate of the 9th Marquess of Lansdowne, Earl Shelburne.
The house and selective areas of parkland are open to the public.
For details, cost and times, see here http://www.bowood-house.co.uk/

Lord Lansdowne has exercised his rights and a lot of the "historic features" around Bowood have been deleted from the modern O.S. maps. Some references by Grinsell, in The Victoria history of Wiltshire: volume 1, part 1, have been made, but any site visits by O.S. seem to have been made in 1960's.
Chance Posted by Chance
21st August 2012ce

Latest posts for Bowood

Hoare Stone (Standing Stone / Menhir) — Miscellaneous

Details of stone on Pastscape

Standing stones have been documented in Bowood Park, all have been described as being placed as landmarks.
Hoare Stone which was situated near Deer Mead has been claimed to be an in situ standing stone, and was marked on a map of 1755. Field investigations in 1968 located no traces of this feature.

(ST96807015) Hoar Stone (GT). (1)
There are several small sarsens in Boxwood Park which have been suggested to have been brought there as curiosities or land-marks, but the Earl of Kerry thought they might be in situ. One, the 'Whore Stone', the Old (Hoar) Stone in the park, near the Deermead, has been known for over two centuries and gave its name to an enclosure shown in a map of 1755. (2)
This stone has disappeared: there is no information of its going or of its present whereabouts. No mention (Grinsell, Arch. Gaz.Wilts 1957). (3,4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOURCE TEXT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
( 1) Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6" 1960
( 2) The Wiltshire archaeological and natural history magazine 42, 1922 Page(s)36
( 3) Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
( 4) Field Investigators Comments F1 ANK 02-JUL-68
Chance Posted by Chance
21st August 2012ce

Loxwell (Sacred Well) — Miscellaneous

Loxwell Abbey

Details of spring on Pastscape

A Cistercian Abbey was founded at Loxwell in 1151 as a daughterhouse of Quarr, but was moved to Stanley, (ST97SE2) in 1154. There are no visible remains, but Loxwell Farm is reputed to stand on the site of the abbey.

(ST 95296985) Loxwell Farm on site of (TI) Loxwell Abbey (GT) (Cistercian, founded AD 1151) (TI) (1)
A Cistercian Abbey was founded at Lockswell, 1151 but was moved to Stanley in 1154 (See ST 97 SE 2). Though there is no contemporary evidence for buildings of any consequence at Loxwell, the site of the earlier Abbey was claimed as found by Bowles.

Early records indicate a copious water-supply at the first site and there is a substantial spring flowing from 'beneath' the foundations of the farmhouse which Bowles claims stood on the site of the early building. This spring was later conveyed by a stone conduit to the new site at Stanley, in 1241. No traces are visible but its course is discovered from time to time. (2-4)
The present buildings are of 18th - 19th c. date with no visible evidence of any antiquity. (5)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOURCE TEXT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
( 1) Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6", 1961
( 2) General reference History of Bremhill, 1828, 90, (W.L.Bowles)
( 3) General reference History of Chipenham, 1894, 48-9, (J.J. Daniell)
( 4) by David Knowles and R Neville Hadcock 1953 Medieval religious houses : England and Wales Page(s)111
( 5) Field Investigators Comments F1 ANK 02-JUL-68
(6) by David Knowles and R Neville Hadcock 1971 Medieval religious houses in England and Wales Page(s)122
Chance Posted by Chance
21st August 2012ce

Loxwell (Sacred Well) — Folklore

ON LOCK8WELL SPRING.

" Pure fount, that, welling from this wooded hill,
Dost wander forth, as into life's wide vale,
Thou to the traveller dost tell no tale
Of other years; a lone, unnoticed rill,
In thy forsaken tract, unheard of men,
Making thy own sweet music through the glen.
Time was when other sounds, and songs arose;
When o'er the pensive scene, at evening's close,
The distant bell was heard; or the full chant
At morn came sounding high and jubilant,
Or, stealing on the wildered pilgrim's way,
The moon light Miserere died away,
Like all things earthly—
Stranger, mark the spot—
No echoes of the chiding world intrude—
The structure rose, and vanish'd—solitude
Possess'd the woods again—old Time forgot,
Passing to wider spoil, its place and name,
Since then, ev'n as the clouds of yesterday,
Seven hundred years have well nigh pasa'd away:
No wreck remains of all its early pride,
Like its own orisons its fame has died.
But this pure fount, thro' rolling years the same,
Yet lifts its small still voice, like penitence,
Or lowly prayer. Then pass, admonish'd, hence,
Happy, thrice happy, if thro' good or ill,
Christian, thy heart respond to this forsaken rill,"
.
W.L.Bowles 1828
Chance Posted by Chance
21st August 2012ce

Loxwell (Sacred Well) — Miscellaneous

LOCKSWELL SPRING.

The Empress Maud granted to her Chamberlain, Drogo, certain land in Pewsham Forest. Drogo transferred the benefaction to a Cistercian brotherhood. On a hill in the Forest, a part of Drogo's gift, was a spring of the purest water, called "Lockswell," and the abbey which the monks built, bore the name of the " Abbey of Drogo's Fount," or " Drownfont." The water from this spring has flowed from time unknown, in a never failing, never varying volume of 150 gallons a minute.

" It is a magnificent spring, rising on the very top of the hill, which is on all sides surrounded with wild and romantic scenery. It appears in the spot in which it bursts, nearly three feet broad, singular and beautiful, rushing into day, and then winding its precipitous and solitary way till it ia lost among the wildest glades of the ancient forest of Chippenham ; once famous and hallowed, it has flowed for centuries through the wild bourne."

W.L.Bowles

History of Chipenham, 1894, 48-9, (J.J. Daniell)
Chance Posted by Chance
21st August 2012ce

Laggus Farm Mound (Round Barrow(s)) — Miscellaneous

Monument No. 212096

Details of mound on Pastscape

Mound on Laggus Farm, in Bowood Park. Field investigations in 1968 found the mound with a maximum height of 4 feet, and a diameter of eighty feet. It was identified as a possible round barrow by Grinsell but is more likely to be an ornamental mound.

(ST 98066940) Mound (TI) (1)
A mound on Laggus Farm, though insignificant today, is shown on 18th c. maps, and the Earl of Kerry (2) in 1922 thought there could be little doubt that it was of prehistoric origin. Grinsell (3) lists it as 'Mound (barrow?)'. (2,3)

The mound, which is 1-4 metres high, and some eighty feet in diameter, may be a barrow though the situation seems unlikely.
No sign of a ditch and the profile quite sharp: Possibly ornamental. Published (1:2500) survey revised. (4)
Graphical material ommitted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOURCE TEXT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
( 1) Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6", 1961.
( 2) The Wiltshire archaeological and natural history magazine 42, 1922 Page(s)37
( 3) edited by R B Pugh and Elizabeth Crittall 1957 A history of Wiltshire: volume 1, part 1 The Victoria history of the counties of England
( 4) Field Investigators Comments F1 ANK 07-MAY-68
Chance Posted by Chance
21st August 2012ce

Bowood Park Mound (Round Barrow(s)) — Miscellaneous

Details of mound on Pastscape

Monument No. 212099

Possible mound in Bowood Park. It may be a barrow but was not included identified as such by Grinsell, or ornamental mound. Field investigations in 1968 located several slight irregularities in the area but none were definitely identified as the mound.

(ST 97126902) Mound (TI) (1)
This mound may be of one of those 'in and about Bowood' which the Earl of Kerry (2) thought might be ornamental mounds or
barrows. It is not listed by Grinsell in U.C.H.,Wilts.,1,1957. (2)
There are several slight irregularities in the area indicated but none can definitely be identified as the mound. (3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOURCE TEXT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
( 1) Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6", 1961.
( 2) The Wiltshire archaeological and natural history magazine 42, 1922 Page(s)37
( 3) Field Investigators Comments F1 ANK 07-MAY-68
Chance Posted by Chance
21st August 2012ce