The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian


Broome Temple

Stone Circle (Destroyed)

Nearest Town:Swindon (2km WNW)
OS Ref (GB):   SU16748251 / Sheet: 173
Latitude:51° 32' 26.56" N
Longitude:   1° 45' 30.94" W

Added by Chance

Discussion Topics0 discussions
Start a topic

Show map   (inline Google Map)


Add miscellaneous Add miscellaneous
Details of the Long stone on Pastscape

Possible prehistoric standing stone at Broome. It was described by Aubrey as being about 10ft high and part of an alignment. All were broken up during the late 19th or early 20th century.

(SU 16748251) Long Stone (TI) Standing Stone (LB) (site of) (TI). (1)
There formerly stood at Broome a standing stone called the Long Stone. According to Aubrey it was c.10ft high and from it there extended a line of smaller stones. (2)
Local tradition confirms the site of the large standing stone and implies that there were more as the field is known as 'Long Stones'. In 1903 Passmore recorded that "old Daniel Skinner" of Devizes Road remembered breaking up the standing stones in Longstones Field. Some, which were sarsen, were taken to Woodstock. This last remark of Passmore's suggests a pre-historic origin for the site since surface sarsen is not common locally though isolated boulders occur in the clay. In the 19th c. Swindon procured sarsen kerbstones from the Fifield and Overton Down areas of Salisbury Plain. (3)

( 1) Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6" 1922.
( 2) edited by R B Pugh and Elizabeth Crittall 1957 A history of Wiltshire: volume 1, part 1 The Victoria history of the counties of England Page(s)111
( 3a) Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
( 3b) Externally held archive reference - Passmore Mss. p.62, Devizes Museum.
( 3) Field Investigators Comments F1 ANK 27-AUG-68
Chance Posted by Chance
21st March 2012ce

John Aubrey, in his Wiltshire collections, states that this is the site of a "Druidish Temple".

It would appear that most of the stones were removed from the site, but at least one, standing 10ft high, was recorded standing in situ during Victorian times. This stone, known as the Longstone, along with others from the area were broken up and used in the streets and footpaths of Cricklade.

In 1894, A.D. Passmore noted that the hole the Longstone stood in was still visible in Longstones Field between Coate Road and Broome Lane. A row of smaller stones was also recorded extending in a SW direction.
Chance Posted by Chance
27th February 2011ce