The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian


Moniack Castle

Cup and Ring Marks / Rock Art

Nearest Town:Inverness (17km NE)
OS Ref (GB):   NH518357 / Sheet: 26
Latitude:57° 23' 15.35" N
Longitude:   4° 27' 57.01" W

Added by Rhiannon

Discussion Topics0 discussions
Start a topic

Show map   (inline Google Map)


Add miscellaneous Add miscellaneous
At Moniack Castle [..] there exists a large rockery, composed of curious stones from many places, some from great distances, including India, formed some sixteen years ago by the leasee of the house, Miss CAmpbell, daughter of Mrs. Campbell who excavated the Clava cairn. At the end of the rockery, next the entrance gate, there is an erect block of hard grey gneiss, 2 feet by 2 feet, with at least nineteen cups [...] it came, as Seaforth writes, "from an old dike, which is the march between the farm of Mr. Yule of Maryburgh, near Dingwall, and Bakerhill of Brahan," and was leant by him to Miss Campbell.

[..] At the other end of the same rockery at Moniack, there stands a monolith about 4 1/2 ft in height, with the outlined figure of a man, having a stick or other instrument in his hand. This stone was brought from a spot where it stood for a time, close to the old parish school of Kilmorack, near Kilmorack Free church. It was, however, removed to this place between fifty and sixty years ago, from a spot about 100 yards farther west, when the ground was then reclaimed. There is nothing known of the stone, traditional or otherwise, beyond this.
The RCAHMS record says there are cupmarks on the symbol stone too. From p341 of 'On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness' by William Jolly, in v16 of PSAS (1881/2).
Rhiannon Posted by Rhiannon
21st December 2010ce
Edited 21st December 2010ce