Canmore mentions the remains of a cairn here, 35m east of the summit. This hill is also where one of those excellent carved stone balls was found, carved with a spiral and chevron patterns.
It was first designed to build the church [for Fordoun] on the top of the Knock-hill, about a mile or more north-east of the village - a most inconvenient, and the reverse of a central situation; and there the work was actually commenced. As usual, whatever was erected during the day by the masons was destroyed at night by some supernatural beings, who took this method of testifying their aversion to the undertaking. After some time, when both builders and destroyers had perhaps become weary of their respective labours, a supernatural voice was heard to cry,-
Gang farther doun
To Fordoun's toun.
The hint was taken; and in order to determine the proper site of the church, a mason was desired to throw his hammer at random. The hammer judiciously alighted on the beautiful mound where Paldy's chapel was already pitched, and there the work was carried into effect without farther interruption.
It would be a very odd place for a church for Fordoun. From 'The Topographical, Statistical, and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland' (1845).