Leave Rhynie via the A941, Cabrach/Dufftown, and stop at the Mains of Lesmoir a couple of miles west. Plenty parking space here. Then walk further, 100 meters west, along the road where a track can be found heading south over the hill. This is also necessary as the Lesmoir Burn is in spate and this is the only bridge this side of the hill. (This could be found by walking thru Templand to the south, Wheedlemont, Upper Ord etc.)
The cairn can be seen quite clearly between two hills which are covered in rocks and hut circles perhaps. At 19 meters wide and 3 meters high the grass covered cairn has views that are magnificent with Tap O Noth clearly dominating the area. Originally used for burial the cairn was used as a Gallows in feudal disputes. The cairn is still known as Gallows Hill. Today it was peaceful and the sun was out. But not for long!
"Gallows Hill cairn is a substantial prehistoric mound re-used as a place of execution by the Gordons of Lesmoir. In 1651 Sir William Gordon of Lesmoir admitted that he had heard that a part of his home-farm was dedicated to the Goodman, and so it was not worked; 'but he had a mind, by the assistance of God, to cause labour the same: Whereupon he was commended for his ingenuitie in declareing it, and exhorted to take paines shortly to have it laboured."