Ceasar's Camp is best approached from the nearby LookOut Visitor centre by following the marked route through the woods. The outlook isn't particularly brilliant due to the coniferous plantation surrounding it.
The camp is an Iron Age hillfort sited in woodland and the course of the Roman Road known as the Devil’s Highway runs Eat-West half a mile to the South. This might be the source of the phantom footsteps heard at the Camp one night during WWII by two women who lived in a house that has now been demolished. They were aware of what sounded like voices and soldiers marching, but nothing could be seen. On another occasion, one of the women also saw the ghost of a red-haired man standing by her bed.
The hillfort was built around 700 BCE and was a northern outpost of the Atrebatic tribe, it shows no evidence of having been stormed by the Romans.
It consists of an inner bank, ditch and counterscarp with an extra ditch and bank around the southern ramparts where the approach to the fort is flatter.
The ramparts are breached in five places, only two (the east and west entrance) are thought to be original, corresponding to inturned ramparts. The southern entrance may have been created at the same time as the Queen Anne Gully (cut in 1702 for Queen Anne to ride through from Nine Mile Ride), the northern and north-eastern entrances are of unknown age.
There are several non-original earthworks inside the enclosure including the remains of a 19th Century Game-keepers cottage (now demolished), old gravel pits, and small hollows inside the southern ramparts possibly relating to the use of the area by Canadian and American troops during World War 2.
The enclosure was planted out with coniferous trees during the 1950's which have now been cleared and replaced with heathland plants. Parts of the ramparts have also been cleared of deciduous trees and sown with grass to minimise erosion.
Source of information: "Ceasar's Camp: Bracknell's Iron Age Hillfort", Berkshire County Council, April 1991.