Local myth tells us that two stones were taken from a nearby stone circle, unfortunately the people at Inverurie Tourism didn't know which one although Balhalgardy is in the area (and there is plenty to pick from), to mark the the place of the camp followers who were killed eg. the wives of the soldiers, at the Battle of Harlaw. This isn't it's original position as it was re-erected here in 1911 and was at least double it's present height of just over 1 meter. Originally two stood but one was smashed to pieces, to aid in the building of a house, the other remains being used as a fence/gate post, being held up by rope and barbed wire. A sad end to a sad subject.
Leave the A96 just north of Balquhain and stay on the road until Harlaw house. The stone is on the opposite side.
According to "Grampian Battlefields" the Liggar's Stone before removal to Mains of Inveramsay as a gatepost stood near Harlaw House, which would place it in mediaeval Harlaw - an unlikely place for a stone circle.