This may look like a strange inclusion but the building actually stands on top of a barrow. The site is south of the village of Puncknowle, on a hill called the Knoll, from which the village takes part of its name. The name is pronounced punnel as in funnel.
The barrow itself is about 20 metres across and 4 feet in height. Grinsell very nicely describes it this way - as having a "Tiny hovel (watch-tower?) on it. Site of finding of cinerary urn in 1908." Dorset Proc xxxv , p. Li.
The building is described in MAGIC as as lookout post built in about 1800 and is grade II listed. An earlier map calls the hill Punknoll Beacon.
The watch tower is well placed as the views go on for miles. To the east is Abbottsbury Castle hillfort and the barrows on Tulk's hill and Limekiln Hill. To the west is Golden Cap to the north Chilcombe Hill and Shipton Hill.