This barrow is only really visible from Shapwick churchyard. It is situated on a flood plain next to the river Stour, Badbury rings is about two miles to the north of this site.
The barrow is relatively well known for the engraving of its excavation in 1838. The person responsible for the dig was the Rev. Charles Wools, the then curate of Sturminster Marshall. Wools wrote that "the examination of the Barrow was continued for Eight Days with an indomitable spirit of perseverance." Work had to stop when they dug below the level of the river and the trench began to flood. A possible Bronze age cremation burial was found.
Wools wrote up the dig in a book called "The Barrow Diggers; a Dialogue in Imitation of the Grave Diggers in Hamlet" a mixture of farce and serious scholarship.