The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Randolphfield Stones

Standing Stones


In the grounds of Randolphfield, in front of the house, are two stones standing in a line from S.W. to N.E. [..] The south-west stone stands 4 ft. above ground. The portion underground measures 2 ft. 5 in. [..] Both stones are pillars of dolerite, of the same material as the pillar stones of the Castle rock, from which place they have apparently been brought. The larger stone shows some marks on it, which have been supposed to be artificial. They are, however, merely the natural joints characteristic of these blocks, such as may be seen on their fellows at the Back Walk.

The local tradition as to the origin and meaning of these stones is well-known. It is thus stated by Nimmo in his History of Stirlingshire, p84 (first edition, 1777):--
"Two stones stand to this day in the field near Stirling, where Randolph, Earl of Murray, and Lord Clifford, the English general, had a sharp rencounter, the evening before the great battle of Bannockburn.".
From the transactions of the Stirling Natural History and Archaeological Society 1892-3, in an article by A F Hutchison, about 'The Standing Stones of the District'.
Rhiannon Posted by Rhiannon
28th February 2011ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment