|Being newspaper reports for which I have not located even likely NMRS records.
Cantick ND347896 "Orkney Field Club Bulletin 3, 1981"
Two stones 2' apart, one 18" x 9" other has top level with the ground, a few metres S of the off-shore beacon [so ND 354896 given is incorrect] with a foot high marker cairn by the shore. Could be two ' sailor's graves ' rather than just one.
The Haven, Brims, Longhope November 10th 1955 "The Orcadian"
Probably well-used skin polisher of sandstone sent to writer, found whilst cutting peats by Robert Johnston, measures 8½ " x 8¼ inches at wide end tapering to ¾" at 'handle' end. Slightly curved with end opposite handle having blunt edge formed by a smoothed hollow.
Hobbister, Orphir July 28th 1955 "The Orcadian"
Slightly curved (edge nearly serrated) yellowish flint scraper 3" long discovered in turnip field on the farm by Mr.Bardell. Pointed 1" wide end tapering to ½" where a notch looks to have been for a handle. Given to Stromness Museum.
Holland Farm, N.Ronaldsay March 21st 1959 "The Orkney Herald"
Plough uncovers male skeleton in B.A. barrow
Huan, Sandwick (not HY22SW 11) May 16th 1957 "The Orcadian"
Well-preserved inch-thick stone tool found by Mr.Garson amongst the many stones he thought to of an ancient settlement. It is a 5" long isosceles triangle worked to a rough edge on one side of the widest end (5¼") with a flat 'underside'. The tip is slightly rounded and there is at the middle a shallow groove with deep-notched ends
Irishman's Grave, Walls ND258887 "Orkney Field Club Bulletin 3, 1981" (Jeremy Goodwin article)
Two yards E of start of track to Tor Ness lighthouse, at W end Links of Melsetter. E/W aligned ' sailor's grave ' 6' long with headstone 9" x 3" x 18" and footstone ¼" x 1" x 14" . Marker cairn (undercut by sea) 3½' x 2½".
Kirbuster Hill, Stromness ~HY245143 November 27th 1958 "The Orcadian"
Wheel of tractor driven by Wiliam John Ritch of Brettabreck [also Brettobreck] breaks through thick coverstone whilst levelling ground near defunct quarry and near the top of Kirbuster Hill. Well-formed roughly E/W aligned stone cist did not go past ground level or show previous signs of being there. Thick heavy stones gave dimensions 47" x 35" x 22" and cist held much decayed bones, mostly fragments apart from thigh bones and an E-facing skull. North a few metres is a vertical headstone and tradition says a very long time ago sailor's bodies landed at this section of beach.
Knowes, Sandwick May 26th 1955 "The Orcadian"
Crouched male skeleton found in Neolithic cist by Mr Walter Towrie of Knowes [sic] near farm whilst ploughing. Photo
Lyking, Sandwick September 7th 1967 "The Orcadian"
Photo of two objects found on farm some time previously by Mr G.Robertson and going to Stromness Museum. One is a sandstone ring found below ground level ditch digging.
meadows of Quholm, Stromness ~HY248130 August 20th 1959 "The Orcadian"
William Johnston finds round sandstone tool size of a large orange some 2½' down in the peat in an area called 'page-oo'. This is near where a "witch's box" [now in Merchant Lairds display, Orkney Museum] was previously found [July 3rd 1912 "The Orkney Herald" ?? & December 14th 1933 "The Orcadian"].
Quoyloo district, Sandwick January 16th 1955 "The Orcadian"
Sandstone whorl, 1 3/8" across x 3/8" with a ½ inch hole, found by William Petersen at end of 1954 given to writer.
Rendall July 29th 1954 "The Orcadian"
Finely polished greyish sandstone axe in very good condtion, found by Mr. J.S.Cormack of Quoyhenry in a Rendall peatbank, going to Stromness Museum. Dimensions 3½" x 2¾".
St.Patrick's Stone/ Patrick's Stone, Hoy July 26th 1961 "The Orcadian"
A large stone block similar to the Dwarfie Stane is near Trowie Glen
Sandwick April 9th 1964 "The Orcadian"
Between Ramna Geo and Borwick, a few hundred metres N of the latter, is a bowl-shaped stone structure at one side level with the ground and having an entrance on the built side. Possible resemblance to Irish early Christian cells.
Schoolcroft, Palace, Birsay ~HY24712796 February 17th 1953 "The Orkney Herald"
Coffin of thin blue flagstones found by Gordon Moar whilst drain-digging in sandy links between shore-road and beach. Internal measurements 1'9" across head end and roughly 6'5" long by some 1'4" deep (coverstone dislodged under heavy water-worn boulders and floor not uncovered). Contents a skeleton on its LH side with skull (?dolichocephalic with large facial angle) facing seaward (interpreted as west-facing). Once alignment found disturbed bones and sand put back and coverstone replaced. North a few metres is a vertical headstone and tradition says a very long time ago sailor's bodies washed up at this section of beach. "The Orcadian" of September 30th 1976 reports the finding of two lower skeletons in an shore-eroding grave in this same area by Mrs Hughes of the Orkney Field Centre in February 1976. These taken away for tests and examination.
Sweenalay, Rendall HY387190 September 10th 1964 "The Orcadian"
Steatite piece found by Mr Baikie this summer probably going to Stromness Museum. It is square lke the top of a thin pillar but upon examination the National Museum was of the opinion that though ending life as a socket the flared sides and careful squaring indicate this was originally a shallow bowl.
Swona June 25th 1964 "The Orcadian"
A visit finds mounds by the NE side of the S clett at the cliiff-edge 4' ht. standing stones grouped in a small rectangle
Posted by wideford
17th March 2009ce
wideford's TMA Blog
1-10 of 156 Posts |