|From "The Beauties of England and Wales" Vol VI - Edward Wedlake Brayley and John Britton (1805):
"On the summit of Aconbury Hill, a bold and extensive eminence, partly covered with young wood, and commanding a delightful view over the adjacent country, are the traces of a large CAMP, of a square form: the rampart on the east side is very conspicuous. This was probably a summer camp of the Romans."
The believed Roman-ness ties in with Rhiannon's post about the local name being Roman Camp.
From "Herefordshire Record of Countryside Treasures" (1981 H&WCC):
"Aconbury Iron-age Camp
Single rampart surrounded by outer ditch, encloses 7ha. (17.5 acres) on N slope and summit of fort. Fort was used during the Civil Wars and probably modified then. Small piece of late Roman pottery found embedded in rampart, but site not excavated to date. There are two original entrances at SE and SW corners, the others being probably modern."
Posted by thesweetcheat
2nd February 2009ce
Edited 2nd February 2009ce