|NMRS record no. HY32NE 11 is a 4m high broch with asymmetric settlement ("unsurveyable"), there being many edgeset slabs between the main mound and an external bank to the south that strikes up from the coast. It has been stated that this site has not been excavated, but in 1916 (when the surface area of this knowe was given as [on the oder of] fifty yards by ten) locals remembered a man called Johnny Fea going inside the tumulus so deep as to hear otters at work. A seal bone borer came from exposed foundations at the north side. These are traceable for roughly twenty feet and indicate an outer wall of at least twelve feet thickness (there are traces of a one foot wide intra-mural gallery atop the mound). Other finds were two beads and many likely potlids. On the other side of the Burn of Woo is a probable burnt mound, a metre high, called Robie's Knowe.
Posted by wideford
12th December 2007ce