|An Orkney-Cromarty type, short, horned cairn with a Camster-type chamber. It still stands 10' to 11' high, but has been greatly disturbed, especially by robbing at the edges which are so overgrown with heather that only the north and NE sides can be traced even approximately. The diameters seem to have been about 70' E-W by 63'. There are definite horns at the NW and NE corners but their limits are difficult to establish. The entrance has been from the east, the passage now starting about 20' inside the edge of the cairn, and being visible for only 4', roofed with lintels. The present entrance into the chamber is through a hole in the roof of the central compartment which reaches a height of 6'.
The cairn was excavated before 1911, the only find being a heart-shaped amulet of polished serpentine which was in Dunrobin Museum in 1911 (RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909) but was lost by 1957.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 1957.
Visited by OS (E G C) 26 May 1961
This chambered cairn is as described and planned by
Henshall; the chamber is choked with stones.
Revised at 1/10,000.
Visited by OS (J B) 16 December 1976
Posted by postman
16th September 2007ce