The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

wideford’s TMA Blog

Post to the TMA Blog


A search finds eight sites for this combination. One is in the Americas. Another is in the Roman cemetery of Brougham (Cumbrian excavations 1966-67), and Shell Top on Dartmoor (SX56SE 6 from ?1978) isn't certainly a cist. All I can find out about one from the Scillies is that it appears in issue 34 of "Antiquaries Journal " (1954). Which leaves five hits, of which four are in Scotland with three of these from the same parish in Orkney. Coed-pen-maen (ST09SE 3 in 1830) came from a small ring-cairn, though describes as small the present record refers to a 1.6x0.6m cist remaining.
From the Scottish mainland there is a late insertion to Norrie's Law (NO40NW 3 excavated 1819-22). From the description of the main site this could be a parallel to the 2006 find on the Ness of Brodgar site in the Stenness parish of Orkney. Here circular features interpreted as a probable chambered tomb/s had become covered in rubble before the cist was added to the site. A stone lid had been decorated with chevrons and incised cross-hatching (a larger stone of similar design was found here in 1925). In 1984 a cist was found at the Barnhouse settlement (HY31SW 61). This came from the middle of house 2 and faced the entrance. But here though the cover is described as triangular the same is not said of the body of the cist. The final Orcadian site is on record as being Queenamoan in the parish of Sandwick (HY22SE 31) though the newspaper report in 1869 makes it obvious that the actual location was also in Stenness - Quoynamoan behind Tormiston Mill, which looks to Maes Howe. As well as being triangular the cist also stood out as being "formed by undressed stones rudely built as a surrounding wall - not set on edge as is usually the case. It was 19 inches long in the inside, 15 inches at the widest end, or base of the triangle, and one foot in depth". It was covered by a large flagstone.

wideford Posted by wideford
5th September 2006ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment