|RCAHMS NMRS record no. HY50NW 14 at HY54900611 is a broch that was investigated literally in one day in 1883. At that time it was 45' across the outside and 15' high, with walls 10' thick and standing equally high (though the entrance wasn't found). Small zig-zagging passages at the north where digging began were 'read' as modern - the site was brlieved to have been surrounded by water originally. Though the inner face was cleared it was decided not to remove the debris from the centre (which, given that it lies between the beach and Eves Loch, bodes good for the preservation of organic materials). Of the three-quarters of the outer circumference excavated then, by 1930 only a few courses in a stretch a few yards long were still exposed (co-incidentally at the north) and now all is basically under turf again. A lamp and a few stone tools have been found. Raymond Lamb in 1987 thought there were traces of a settlement platform at the south-west.
Posted by wideford
4th July 2006ce