|The first recorded dig at the Broch of Lingro was in July 1870. On the 11th they also began excavating a nearby mound (?HY43240863) south of Lingrow house (HY431086). This turned out to be an unrecorded chambered tomb. "The Orkney Herald" on the 26th reported that it comprised a roof of massive flags held up on pillars of undressed stones and had probably been excavated previously. The tomb was found to be full of debris, from which came burnt bones and a human tooth.
Posted by wideford
11th August 2005ce