|From the information on Canmore:
"A cup marked and perforated slab lies in rough grass 20yds WSW of St Ciaron's Chapel and 20yds N of the road. The slab is of schist 6ft by 3ft with a thickness of 6ins exposed, the rest being buried. Graham noted 22 cups in 1895 but only 18 are now visible, 6 1/2 ins in maximum diameter and 4 ins deep, clearly man-made but some having vertical sides. Two cups have penetrated the slab completely."
The local tradition is that church-goers turned a pestle in any cup-mark and wished. The constant turning wore the cups, "in some cases right through the stone".
A similar ritual is done with cups in the base of a cross at nearby Kilchoman (NR215632). According to the source used by Kevin Callahan in his article on rock art here:
it was still being used 1968 - the pestle would be turned 3 times sunwise, and a coin left. The cup was full of pennies and the church officer collected them up periodically.
But this cupped base just looks too neat and new.
Was it a ritual adopted from the (presumably)older Kilchiaran?
Posted by Rhiannon
7th July 2005ce
Edited 20th July 2005ce